1952 Fleetwin Impeller

Fester

Seaman
I think I need to replace my impeller as I did not see a pee stream and just got the motor last week. I am seeing that part # 18-3001 should be used as the replacement but I am reading some say I need to use a sander to grind it down a bit but some do not say anything to that effect. Can someone please advise as to the best way to replace this and if I do need to sand it down, how much do I need to take off and how can I determine (based on fit) when it is the correct size? Thanks in advance!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1952 Fleetwin Impeller

You would have been much better off by buying the correct impeller in the first place. Yes, the one you have will be too thick. It is kind of tricky to grind down, but it has been done. It has to be the same thickness as the depth of the cavity that it fits into, and uniformly thick throughout. Correct impellers are available, but you have to send in your old hub. He reuses the hub when molding the new rubber part.
http://www.dewdropimages.com/impellers/index.html

Fester

Seaman

What is the best way to get to the impeller. I have the exploded and dissected view of the motor but am reading that I need to remove the power head to get the lower unit to drop so I can access the impeller. How exactly do I remove the power head?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What is the best way to get to the impeller. I have the exploded and dissected view of the motor but am reading that I need to remove the power head to get the lower unit to drop so I can access the impeller. How exactly do I remove the power head?

Your information is either incorrect or you are reading about the wrong motor. You do have to remove the powerhead on 1954-up motors. You are telling us that you have a 1952. Are you sure of that? The 1952 has a neutral clutch, 1954-up has a full gearshift. On the 1952, there is a removeable underwater exhaust outlet. Remove that and you will see the clutch rod. There is a hairpin clip at the coupling. Pull that out and then unbolt and remove the lower unit. Pay attention to the way the water pump fits together, it is keyed to fit together and into the housing. A flat spring holds it tight in there.

Fester

Seaman

Thank You Much! I am sure it is a 1952....model 4447. I got the info I needed and will work to replace it this week.