1950s Johnson 5.5 only runs on top cylinder

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
got a free motor from a friend he said he couldn’t start it. I got it running with some fresh gas, but doesn’t run good. I noticed it had brand new looking spark plugs, I checked them and the top was powdery white (lean) and bottom was completely clean (not firing). Anyway ur has extremely good spark (ignition was completely redone by a marina recently, even has the German coils) I noticed old sticky oil all over the bottom of the cylinder head, do you think it could be a bad head gasket? It would make sense since that’s the cylinder not firing. Also after it runs and dies I hear a hissing from the pressure tank, is there a way to test for pressure leaks in these old style tanks and make sure the pressure from the engine is working correctly?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
do compression test and post results ..both .cyl should be close to equal something about 75psi would be nice
find and fix the air leak on the tank but hand priming is enough to start the engine… you need to get that going
no need to pressure test if the engine runs good after your fix
you could.… convert to a pump.. and use a conventional tank not a big job but ...you need to find a 2 pin engine side connector for modern single hose fuel line
one engine I converted years ago still runs perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOMbwvH55I