1950 Evinrude, shift or no shift?

MSKYHNTR

Recruit
Hi everybody I'm new to the world of outboards but have an extensive back ground with mechanics. I just bought a 1950 Evinrude Model# 4434 serial #17926 7.5 hp fleetwin and the prop will not disengauge with the clutch knob in the up or down position. I thinks me got rooked on Ebay! I have a original parts catolog and it does not show any kind of shifter on it at all. So,with that being said...I assume that when the knob is up it is disenguaged and when it is down it is enguaued or vise versa?I also need coils for this and a carb kit,Tillotson MD 34 B. I also need a carb kit for my Scott Atwater model #1-20 serial# 51307497,it is a Tillotson MD 36 B. I want to rebuild them both and run them on me '65 12' Aerocraft. Any help at all would be great! :confused:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1950 Evinrude, shift or no shift?

Hi MuskieHunter,<br /> The '50 7.5 Fleetwin has a neutral clutch on the propshaft. It's kind of a rickety system in the best of circumstances and they often don't work anymore. Fortunately the default mode is go and not "no go". <br /> That said, it is a simple system and as long as nothing is broken in there, it may simply be a matter of adjustment or even maybe the shift rod has become disconnected. The shift rod connection is accessed by removing the exhaust snout at the back of the motor leg.<br /> If that's connected and operating, then you may want to pull the rear cover of the gearcase to pull out the propshaft. Make sure the shift rod touches the tang on the propshaft spring so that it can release the spring from the shaft for neutral. I've found a few of these springs are quite worn or crowned over at the tang. You can straighten out the last 1/4-inch of the sprung coil to give you better "grip" on the shift rod, taking care to true up the tip a bit, too. I did this to my '53 and it worked very well afterwards. <br /> Most of what I said probably won't make sense until you get into it, and feel free to post again if you hit any walls along the way...<br /> As for the knob - up is neutral - down is engaged...<br /><br />- Scott

MSKYHNTR

Recruit
Re: 1950 Evinrude, shift or no shift?

Chinewalker,<br /> Thanks for the info on the shift side of this outboard. I will look into this ASAP. <br /> Could you help as far as carb kits? I was looking at the Scott today and it seems to have a diaphram fuel pump that is getting it's pump pulses from the block. Is there any way to hook up a pressure tank as I think I can but have no idea as to what fittings I will need,do they make some kind of a kit that I could retrofit for it?<br /> This forum is awsome! Please keep up the great work everybody and we will all be blessed!<br /><br /> Thanks Tammy