1948 Gale - Hiawatha

Chris102979

Recruit
I have a 1948 Hiawatha 5HP engine that was given to me about 15 years ago and it has been sitting in storage ever since. :( Recently I have re-aquired a boat to use the motor on and now have almost everything ready to rock and roll. With some basic maitainence I have been able to get the motor to run thogh I havn't run it very long. The only thing that is left to do is to change out the lower unit oil. :D Only one problem, I don't know where to look or what / how much to use when I find the the corrct areas on the motor. :confused: Any help on the subject would be greatly appreaciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1948 Gale - Hiawatha

It won't run very long without a fresh impeller in the water pump.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1948 Gale - Hiawatha

It takes grease not oil. Most people use Lubriplate #105 "Motor Assembly Grease". NAPA Auto Parts has it under their own part number. You should find two plugs in the lower unit, as I remember it, a large one on one side and a small screw on the other side. Squeeze the grease in the big one till it comes out the little one.

The "impeller" is correctly called a "rotor", often referred to as a "wobbler pump" and is forward of the propeller. If grease leaks out of the gearcase (and it usually does), it causes the rotor to swell up and not work.