1946 Evinrude zephyr model 4404 lower unit bolts

hello to all the Evinrude zephyr experts I have a question I’m in the process of restoring my Evinrude zephyr model 4404 5.4hp I noticed the 3 bolts on the lower unit the heads where stripped a little I tried a bigger flathead screwdriver no luck. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get
them out at this point? Also when I do get them out what do I use for a gasket since there are no gasket sets available?

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know your motor, but very, very long ago, I made my own gaskets from material I bought at a local parts store. Used a ball-peen hammer to knock it out while placed atop the mating surface of the motor. Used an office-style hole punch for the holes ;-)

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Can't help with your motor,

but yes, you can make your own gaskets using either gasket paper from a car parts shop or from breakfast cereal boxes,

youtube has how to videos,
might need to practise a few times...l did lol

you could also use "silicon" gasket goop

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If my memory is correct, those might be aluminum screws (??). If so, they are not very strong. Nevertheless, a hand impact screwdriver is your best bet--the kind where the bit rotates when you whack it with a hammer. No outboard mechanic would be without one.

Attachments

• photo294056.jpg
    photo294056.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0