1927 johnson k 35 ignition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
hypothetical question, would it be possible to test spark if i put the flywheel on without the keyway and just spun the flywheel on the crank to test spark to plugs? sounds feasible to me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I doubt that will work !!---Simple as that.----That will work on say a 1979 model Johnson 6 HP.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious why you would want to do this with out the key?
everything is apart and rebuilt, restored. putting it back together and basically want to bench test to make sure i get spark before bolting everything down for good and move on. call me simple but i just dont understand why this wouldnt work. you got the magnets and cam that open the points on the inside of the flywheel that rotates around the plate that has the coil, points and all that good stuff. i just wont have to fight compression. ANY reason why this would not work? please enlighten me.

kbait

Commander
With coils under flywheel, flywheel needs to be in correct orientation (keyed) for spark to be generated when spinning. You could torque flywheel down without key, in correct position to test if you don’t have a key..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On some early motors the cam to operate points is part of flywheel..----Therefor the crank does not need to spin to make spark.----Just like many modern motors.-----The crank does not need to spin to make spark.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
On some early motors the cam to operate points is part of flywheel..----Therefor the crank does not need to spin to make spark.----Just like many modern motors.-----The crank does not need to spin to make spark.
I think this is what i have. magnets and cam are on the inside of the flywheel on this model.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG