190 Mercruiser Getting Hot

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Owning a big boat is hard but I am learning.

For about 1 week she ran great at about 140. Saturday she started to get hotter around 162. When at idle she went up to about 220. While moving she would go back down to about 160. It is a closed system. Which is it more likely to be Impeller in outdrive or water pump? How do I change impeller in outdrive if thats the problem.

How can I find out the years of motors, and te gear ratios of outdrives.

proxyx

Banned
Re: 190 Mercruiser Getting Hot

Owning a big boat is hard but I am learning.

For about 1 week she ran great at about 140. Saturday she started to get hotter around 162. When at idle she went up to about 220. While moving she would go back down to about 160. It is a closed system. Which is it more likely to be Impeller in outdrive or water pump? How do I change impeller in outdrive if thats the problem.

How can I find out the years of motors, and te gear ratios of outdrives.

engine/outdrive serial number on Merc website. both equally probable. Impeller only is about 15$. Your call.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The engine circulating pump is not likely, the impellor in the drive is. Do you know when it was changed last?

What is the condition of the riser? It could be clogged and reducing the flow of water.

What is the condition of the heat exchanger?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not know when it was changed last.
The riser looks good and so does coolant in it, I have not had it off though. If taking it off how far do I follow? Never worked on boats before but pretty mechanically inclined. (enough to follow direction;)) And I do not know what the heat exchanger looks like. Is there a link in the adults only section here for both and removal of outdrive for impeller?
Thanks for your help guys. Trying to not let boat beat me. It will be great when I get kinks out.

Last edited:

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

IMHO - change the impellor first. It's a maintenance item. Every two years for me. Go deeper if you have to, but do the impellor first. In the adults only sticky download your manual for the drive. Easy repair and cheap. If you see wear when you remove it, buy the whole housing kit. About 50 bucks.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded outdrive manual and went through it. I will be starting this weekend. Ill let you guys know how it went.