19' trailer 21' boat

maccustom

Cadet
I have 19' single axe trailer and a 21' foot boat(85 larson dc215) i was told i could move the winch bracket up 2' and that would work. Is that right?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 19' trailer 21' boat

Concerns: short tongue could make launching/retrieving difficult. transom hanging off the back the trailer could damage the hull. a 21' glass boat, especially if it happens to be an I/O, might be pushing into dual axle territory.

That said, if you can push the winch post forward and fit a 21' boat in it......it might not be just a 19' trailer after all :D

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

You need to tell us more...outboard or inboard, bunk or roller, trailer capacity, boat weight?

maccustom

Cadet

inboard,rollers trailer 3500lbs not sure about the boat but its under 2500lbs

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I know nothing about single/double axle stuff but post a pic of the trailer so we can see the design.

One problem with sliding up the boat, depending on the trailer design, is that the keel will drag along the center support while launching and retrieving.. Adding rollers may help that.

I moved mine forward about 22 inches and added a break away tongue so I still had room between the trailer and vehicle. It did cause problems launching as I said above, so I had to move it back a foot. I added extensions to the back of the trailer just to have something to strap the transom onto.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Depending on where it is, you could also potentially move the support that holds the rollers further back to gain some length.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

The distance you have to travel will help decide too.

maccustom

Cadet

about 30 miles or so from my house and i want to keep it park on the trailer

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you can do that you will also need to relocate the axle cradle to properly distribute the boats weight.

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Measure the distance from the transom to the bow ring. then measure the distance from the back of the bunk to the bow stop. Your boat might work with little adjustment.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have the same thing. A guy put a 21foot cuddy cabin star craft on the trailer for a 18-19' boat, tonge was alittle short.
The trailer is build sturdy enough for a 21', however I added some steel to the tonge area and extended the tonge 2' with a slid in/out removeable tonge extension. Works good. Now I can pull the boat behind my camper and launching is much better.