18Rabbit/Captain Doug or? re; Sac. River

Rickfifty

Seaman
You guys gave me some good advice regarding SF Bay so I thought I'd pick your brains again. I have this strange desire to head up the Sacramento River without a fixed destination. Just grab supplies & go. Thinking about putting in near Rio Vista, cruising most of the day and then spend the night. Return the next day. My questions are; Is that a good starting point? How far can I get? Any dams or other obstacles? Does it get real shallow? Any recommendations on where to spend the night? Any special attractions to see? This will just be a sightseeing tour, no fishing/skiing. Is the water too cold to swim in? I'll be in a 18' runabout with I/O. Any answers will really help. Thanks.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18Rabbit/Captain Doug or? re; Sac. River

Rick, <br />This is something I'd like to try also, though without spending the night. There are some good guidebooks to the Delta; without a guidebook with charts and maybe a GPS we might not ever hear from you again! Lots of little sloughs and islands to get lost in if you get too curious. I've seen some online listings of restaraunts which have docks for boaters and where the better marinas are for fuel. <br /><br />I hear you can go for a very long time if you like. Well past Sacramento, maybe most of the way to Red Bluff?<br /><br /> Sacramento River CaDBWW

DeltaTow

Cadet
Re: 18Rabbit/Captain Doug or? re; Sac. River

Cruising northward on the Sacramento River from the SF bay area isnt the greatest in the world after you get to Rio Vista then Isleton and Walnut Grove you are in the river that is controlled by very high levees that are covered with rock rip rap. its not ver scenic at all when you get into Sacramento area there are not that many places to stop and you can continue northward for quite away depending on the water flow wont hit any dams for about 90 miles.<br />there is a lot more to see and many more places to go if you jog over and pick up the San Joaquin river and explore the central and South Delta,<br />here you will find a lot many places to stop and enjoy yourself, you will be in a area that has about 1,000miles of shoreline many rivers all connected ie San Joaquin, Mokelume (North Fork and South fork) the twalame (sp) the consumes, the Calaveras,. you will be in a area that has about 100 marinas.<br />the California Delta Chamber of com. has a great webb site that does nothing but tell you all about this area and what is there and gives a good idea of a lot of things done there.