18hp fastwin impeller.

ArneA

Seaman
I guess that when no one responds within a few days, my question was dumber than a fence post or no one wants to take the time to help. I am persistent though, so lets try again..
Looking for a service manual for 18hp longshaft evenrude fastwin. Would like to change the impeller but not sure how to do it. The number on the side plate of the motor is 18403D-E01810. I think it is a 1964 model

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as a dumb question. Maybe we think it just so easy. Anyhow, remove the oval plate from the side of the midsection. Inside, you will find the shift rod connector. Remove the lower bolt. Remove the four small bolts that hold the gearcase to the exhaust housing, plus the big one at the rear. The gearcase is now free to drop down and away, and the water pump is right in front of you.

Make sure all seals are in good condition and lubricated before reassembling, especially the extremely important o-ring at the top end of the drive shaft. Best you use a new one.

When you get ready to reinstall the bolt in the shift rod connector, use a flashlight to peer in there and make sure the notch is exactly aligned with the bolt hole. If it isn't, it will strip the threads off the bolt and it will fall out, but never at dockside. Always happens five miles out.

EDIT: Since it is a long shaft, you may only see one bolt in the shift rod connector. No sweat, the instructions still apply, except for the "lower" word..

Last edited:

ArneA

Seaman
Is this O ring available at the local hardware store or is it something that has to be purchased at a boat repair place.? Also,,,Do you know where I can download a service manual from ? thank you for writing back ...

nwcove

Admiral
i dont think your original post was ignored....probably just missed . the forum was upgraded a while back and things arent quite the way they used to be. i dont know of any downloadable service manuals, but boatinfo has a generic manual for many motors, it may be of use.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Is this O ring available at the local hardware store or is it something that has to be purchased at a boat repair place.? Also,,,Do you know where I can download a service manual from ? thank you for writing back ...

It is a standard size o-ring.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
When F_R responds to your question, you know you're getting good information. Service manuals are available on ebay, but there's nothing that has to be done to that engine that you cannot find out here. Marine engine dot com will also help you, check it out.

Last edited:

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And make sure that you remove the bottom screw from the shift rod connector.

The rods are "ball shaped" at the ends and will not come apart unless the bolt is removed.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And make sure that you remove the bottom screw from the shift rod connector., not just loosen it.

The rods are "ball shaped" at the ends and will not come apart unless the bolt is removed.