18' bowrider: Regal vs Monterey vs Crownline

illinileo

Recruit
We're looking to buy our first boat. We will be boating mainly on local lakes, and water skiing and tubing with the kids. We'll be buying used, and have been looking at all the usual suspects: Four Winns, Crownline, Sea Ray, Chaparral, and Monterey. We really hadn't seen a Regal and didn't know much about them, but happened across a beautiful 2004 with just the things we've been looking for- 18', V6, Great seating configuration, low hours, etc. The price is also really great.

We've also found a Monterey with comparable features to the Regal and we're going to try to water test both this weekend. To complicate things, we've also been looking at a 1994 Crownline that's in excellent condition with a totally rebuilt engine- and about 35% less expensive. Big debate in the house about whether it's worth the extra $ to get a boat that's 10 years newer.

Looking for input on any of these boats.

Tuna Van

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 18' bowrider: Regal vs Monterey vs Crownline

If the old boat checks out, buy it. Use it for the next Summer and then decide if a newer boat is worth it. It will also give you a chance to make all the rookie mistakes and not lose as much money.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Regals and Montereys are nice boats. It is up to you to decide if a newer boat is worth the extra money. What drive is on the Regal or Monterey? What about the Crownline? Are they all mercruiser? I don't think Crownline used OMC in the mid 90s but if they did it would be the old Cobra Drive in 94 which isn't as well supported as Mercruiser or VolvoPenta. It seems that VolvoPenta drives are preferred from a maintenance standpoint.

Why did the crownline need the motor rebuilt?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Monterey makes a very nice boat I love mine.

illinileo

Recruit

The Monterey and Regal both have 4.3L V6 Volvos. The Crownline has a Merc. Not sure why it needed to be rebuilt- we're checking.