18' Baja, overpowered?

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll try to keep it short. I have a 2.6l Seadrive (235hp) that's being converted to a "normal" outboard. I'm also thinking about an 18' Baja project boat (like I don't have enough projects!). Am I sick putting this kind of power on an 18' boat? Baja owners please help me out here. The boay is pretty bare, so beefing it up is possible. I don't have the specs on the boat yet, wanted to ask before I persued it.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18' Baja, overpowered?

I had a baja 170 sport bowrider, with a 3.ol merc 140hp its max rating for i/o or o/b was 140hp, this boat ran out at about 55 to 57 mph, but remained rock solid handling I always felt it would be able to handle more ponies, oh ya that old Baja was a 1984 it was balsa cored hull it was a tough well designed hull, If you have the sunsport or sport ss hull you could hang that motor, A friend of mine bought the 190 sport bowrider, the first motor he hung was the blow it again and again 300hp Merc, when it ran right it would hit 80 plus, he later replaced it with a 250 I think Yammie still would hit 80, he ran this boat for 14 years without any structure failers or Cracks. so if hull/stringer/transom is sound more than likely you'll be fine.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 18' Baja, overpowered?

Thanks for the reply! I just may look into this. I picked up this motor for REAL cheap with less than 400 hours on it. He sea trialed the boat it was on, brought it home and pulled the motor because it was "OLD". Now his boat is sitting for 2 years until he can fund a "NEW" engine.