175hp Johnson Sea Max (1981)

First time visitor to iboats, this site is great!<br />I recently purchased a 1980 20' Silverline with an 81 175hp Johnson Sea Max. First few times out engine starts and runs excellent, but living in CT it was chilly and I really didn't keep it opened up for any length of time. Last weekend I was running at about 3/4 throttle after the engine was warm and I went to give it more throttle and the engine bogged down until I backed off on it. This only seem to happen after I have been running the engine at close to full throttle for a while. Could it be carbon build up on the rings? I get a little light blue smoke when the engine first starts but it goes away within a few seconds. The gauge says that the engine is running between 5,000-6,500 rpms when this happens. Are there any products or additives that can help this problem or should I check prices on changing all the rings, valves, seals etc.?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 175hp Johnson Sea Max (1981)

There is a good chance you have a simple fuel flow problem. Check all fuel line,connectors filters and vents.Dont know what your motors rev limit is but but at 5,000 plus your probably close to max. Some motors have rev limiters.<br />Use search to check other post. about loss of power,There are lots. Good luck