17' Prolin wants to roll after hitting plane

SchatzieII

Recruit
My daughter and her husband, Mike, own a 1980 Proline 17 foot medallin series boat with a 85 hp yamaha installed. They bought boat last year but daughter did not tell her "Daddy" the boat has major problems.

As soon as the boat planes the boat want to roll either left or right. They can not increase speed as they are sure it would roll over.

The hull is a "V" with slight tri hull simularities. They do not have plane flaps and say motor is centered and straight. The boat has a canope.

This weekend Mike took a man his size 260 lb's to be ballast on left side to move around but no effect. So they put put around, under plane.

I have written an email to Proline but they did not answer. Would installing plane wings on motor help? Looking for clues to fix boat. Can't use this way.

luckyer

Cadet
Re: 17' Prolin wants to roll after hitting plane

The fact that it wants to roll left or right leads me to believe there may be water trapped in the hull, try having the boat weighed, if way out of normal, might have to drill a few holes in the bilge areas to see if you can get it to drain. Also too, check to see if the lower skeg is bent or if the cavitation plate is dented or Damaged. Good luck...

SchatzieII

Recruit
Re: 17' Prolin wants to roll after hitting plane

The fact that it wants to roll left or right leads me to believe there may be water trapped in the hull, try having the boat weighed, if way out of normal, might have to drill a few holes in the bilge areas to see if you can get it to drain. Also too, check to see if the lower skeg is bent or if the cavitation plate is dented or Damaged. Good luck...

Thank you.....didn't think of trapped water... makes sense. will look into this.. Mike probably will know what skeg is and where is cavitation plate , but I don't and I owned a 17' for 15 years, shows you what I know. Thanks for your reply, we'll get back after we check out your suggestions. I do know he has checked his normal drain plug.