17' aluminum on Lake Michigan Bay?

Kachadurian

Seaman Apprentice
I’ve just moved into a new home and I now have access to a dock on East Grand Traverse Bay in Lake Michigan. This isn’t open water, but if a wind comes up out of the north things can get pretty hairy.

My little Starcraft 14SF is fine on a calm day, but I’m staying very close to home. It’s time for a new boat.

These are my questions:

1. 17’ or 18’? I really do not want any more boat than I must have, so if there isn’t a big stability gain I’d rather get a 17’. That said, if there’s a benefit to going 18’ I’ll take it.

2. Aluminum v. Fiberglass. Is the weight of the fiberglass boat a good thing in big water? I like the ability to bump around in an aluminum and not think about scrapes and dings, I like the idea of less motor too.

3. Outboard v. I/O . I’m going to fish and might pull the kids on a tube, but I don’t need to serve cocktails on my boat so the general finish and beauty of the I/O is lost on me. Is there any other reason I should consider an I/O?

4. I'm always a little uneasy about the low transom in my starcraft (it's short shaft). I'm thinking about going the premium for the 25" transom and the long shaft motor. Does it really make a difference or is 20" enough?

I’m thinking about buying an aluminum 17’ or 18’ Fish/Ski (like the Lowe or Lund) with a 115-135 2-cycle OB; I’m looking for someone to tell me if I'm making a mistake.

Any advice?

Tom

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 17' aluminum on Lake Michigan Bay?

I have a 14 foot Starcraft that I use on the Chesapeake bay and all its tribs quite frequently. Now I don't purposely go out in gale winds or even if they are calling for winds over 15 mph. I have had storms sneak up on me a couple of times, it is no fun but I am still here to talk about it. I did feel uncomfortable enough to ditch it a couple times. The weight of a fiberglass boat is definitly a plus when it get rough.

JimMachinery

Seaman Apprentice

When I was a kid, my dad took us out on Lake Michigan in a 14' aluminum runabout and we made it back every time. That being said, I would never venture out in one today.

The old timers used to say even number of footage (14, 16, 18, etc.) run best on L.M. due to the period between the waves. Don't know if I buy it.

Still, I took a very seaworthy newer 21' welded aluminum cuddy cabin out about 10 years ago and the lake kicked up on me and it was a very scary experience.

I guess my answer would be to get the most seaworthy boat you can - I suspect the weight of fiberglass would make it less prone to breaching. Don't get too far from shore, take a power squadron boating coarse. Always have PFD's and a radio. Stay on top of the weather. Pray.

Best of luck!

Jim

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I don't have much experience with the newer Lunds, but the older ones kick butt. Pair one of them up with an equivalent Johnnyrude, and you will be kicking the high seas. Any of the ones with a true deep vee, and not some of the crossover models they made, will take some pretty heavy water. Plus, you will really have to work to maim one of these. As far as a newer one, I know the hull is designed to take rougher water, and is tougher and lighter at the same time, and don't doubt the hull integrity one bit, but I hear that quality control is slipping a tad, but that is more on interior items such as radios, and other issues with dumb ***** dealers. I would stay away from fiberglass in this instance, as the aluminum is more durable in terms of hitting rocks and stuff. And, if you don't absolutely need it, I cannot see one reason to have an I/O. I would stick to 2 stroke outboards.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thoughts:

1) If there?s a benefit to going 18? ...

IMHO, there's not much difference in operating costs going from 17' up to 21' or so... but as you move up in that range for small increments in length you get some pretty big gains in stability, interior room and (in similar hulls) seaworthyness. An 18' is quite a bit more boat than a 17'.. jump 17' to 19' and the gains are very substantial. If you want to venture very far from home, get the boat you need.

2. Aluminum v. Fiberglass

Lightweight aluminum boats and outboards are great for fishing but aren't really the best setup for pulling tubes, wakeboards, waterskis.

If you plan on those activities being a major component of your use, I'd suggest an I/O in fiberglass. A deeper prop, more hull mass and interior volume are desirable when it comes to family play time. No prop blowout, better tracking, more comfortable ride, swim platforms (etc) are all nice to have.

A cuddy cabin or closed bow is safer if the water turns nasty. Stick an open bow boat into a big wave and you've got some immediate issues. All in all, if you're prudent and pay attention to the weather, this shouldn't be a big problem tho.

3. Outboard v. I/O (ramblings)

See comments above on 'tractibilty' of the I/O for family use. Generally, for freshwater I'll take an I/O... for saltwater I'd rather have an outboard. For shallow water use, an outboard. I/O is a lot cheaper to buy... and if you take a look at the tubing and wiring under the cowling of a new-generation outboard, I think easier to maintain.

4. I'm always a little uneasy about the low transom...

I had a 17' center console sportfisherman with a 20" shaft engine. The Low transom made me nervous out on the Pacific Ocean. If I was buying an outboard for big water I'd want either a setback transom, a well... or a self-bailing deck.

---------

I?m thinking about buying an aluminum 17? or 18? Fish/Ski (like the Lowe or Lund) with a 115-135 2-cycle OB;

All depends on your prediced mix of fishing/family fun and how far you want to go out in the lake. I think Jim's advice is good. Get the most boat you can afford.

Kachadurian

Seaman Apprentice

I was out today in my 14' Starcraft and a light wind turned into something stiffer and I was thinking about how much I was bumping. It wasn't dangerous, but not really fun either.

I'm now thinking I'm going to take the general advice here and get a bigger boat, maybe a 19' or 20' aluminum.

Tom

rndn

Commander

Under good conditions a 17 foot boat would be fine, unfortunately you can't control the conditions. Big boats creating enormous waves, wind generated waves, etc. Even with a larger boat, you should still follow the marine forecast so you don't get caught in foul weather. When I was younger, my brother and I routinely fished 8 miles out in Lake Ontario to troll for salmon with no depth finder, GPS wasn't invented yet, nor were cell phones. We only had an 18hp outboard with no backup plan. Thank the good lord that nothing ever happened to us, although if it had it would have been our own stupidity. I'm estimating the 8 miles out as we would go full speed until we couldn't see the NY shoreline and then we would go for 20 minutes longer. I must admit though we always caught plenty of fish. Now many years later I look back and realize all the things that could have gone wrong. The things people (me) do when we're young, dumb, but think we know everything.

evilratgirl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My father in law has a 18' Lund Tyee with an older Mariner 115 outboard. He has it set up with down riggers as he fishes salmon in Heron and Michigan. Very nice setup with VHF, GPS and depth. We've been out with him several times and works nice even in a fair chop.

Several years ago we were out visiting him and I happened to pick up a boat trader in the U.P. on the way there. Wife and I were in the market for a new boat. The day we got there I was looking thru the trader and found our new boat. An 88, 18.5 Crestliner with the 2.3 cobra,(yes cobra) Loran, VHF, 2 depth finders, full covers, 2 spare tires, and toys for $4200. Just happened to be ~ 2 miles from the father in laws. We love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thus far we've had it on Heron, Michigan and Superior.

As far as a couple of your questions.
1. As reccomended, a deep V reguardless of aluminum or fiberglass.
2. I/O or outboard is really a wash. It's really more of what you like.
3. Depending on your use the space of the 18-20 is really nice.
4. Whatever you get, make sure you get full bow and cockpit covers.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

An 18' boat will do you quite well. At that length the gunwales are high enough to give you a sense of more security. The I/O adds weigh and takes up cockpit space IMO. If I understand you correctly, you have a dock space available. In SE WI the marinas will not rent such spaces to riveted aluminum boats(I suppose they have raised too many from the drink), fiberglass may be a better choice-be sure to have the bilge connected to an automatic float and directly to a fully charged battery.

Here is my favorite. It fishes Lake Michigan in 3-3 1/2' seas and 4'ers in a pinch. http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x54/burroak1/DSCN0004.jpg

Kachadurian

Seaman Apprentice

The Dock is mine, so I can put whatever I want there. Also, at the dock I'll put the boat on a lift. Even my 14' is on a lift out of the water. We are in a somewhat protected cove, but when the wind blows moored boats need serious anchoring.

I had my 14' on an earth anchor screwed 3' into the rocks and sand. In a big blow the 3/4" steel pole on the anchor bent 15? and then the 1/2 rope snapped and I found the boat on shore.

Tom

pappy3

Seaman

I have a 16 ft starcraft and purposely fish the rough weather in the winter for big blue cats! I fish the largest body of water in texas which is 57 miles from north to south and more than a mile across . I have been in 8 foot waves with no water coming over the front but I would love it to be 18 ft for more safety!! I have been shrimping out in the gulf 4 -5 miles and had small craft warnings come up and before I got back in was in 10ft seas! Now that was a limit for that boat because the spacing of the waves were just the right distance away for my boat to be nose diving at the bottom of the wave just when the wave would break over the bow!! I had to get my boat speed up to match the waves so when I would hit the bottom of the wave I would gas it to the top with no wave splash over! I would get a 18 foot starcraft in a heartbeat if I could find one in the condition of mine! I would not take less than 5500.00 for mine so be prepared to pay for one! I have a 1986 with a 92 johnson 88 special with hardly no use on it. I have put more miles on it than the original owner and he bought it new . I will put a disclaimer { with this motor on it now} :D I can't say enough good about aluminum starcraft, get one you wont regret it! Look for a 18 ft !

rschnack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tom,

Welcome to Iboats and Northern Michigan! I think you will enjoy both. I live just north of Grand Traverse Bay in Charlevoix. The type of boat depends more on what you want to do. In this area the 17-18' aluminum boats (Lund, Startcraft, Smokercraft, Alumacraft) are becoming much more popular. They are sort of biased towards fishing. If you are going to do more sports a fiberglass bow rider seems to be more appropriate (Four Winns, Searay seem to be most popular here). There is a huge difference between the 16' models and the 17-18' models. I have a 16' and sometimes wish I had the larger boats: bigger motors, more seaworthy, also much more expensive.
Do not go too big. Grand Traverse Bay is larger than most lakes, but you also have several smaller lakes nearby that are very nice: Long Lake, Torch Lake, Lake Charlevoix, Elk Lake, just to name a few. Take some time at the local boat launches and see what people are using. You will get the idea of what works quickly. There is a launch at Acme that several locals use - it would be a good place to start.

RCS

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wanted to say thanks everyone. I too had this question although most of my boating will be on smaller lakes. I want to be able to hit Lake Michigan, Superior and would love to hit Erie a few times.

My wife actually said that part of the plan was for me to get a bigger boat (I had to double-check to see if my wife was a pod person :) )