16ss 100hp, opinions?!?

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 16ss 100hp, opinions?!?

I am considering making an offer on this boat http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...ft-aluminum-100-hp-johnson-W0QQAdIdZ410342518

If the engine ran well and hull was almost leak free, what would be a fair price?
Seems like an alright deal for my area(Saskatchewan)

Hey SKDave welcome to to Iboats and the wonderful world of Starcrafts. I saw that SS on Kijiji as well. The interior looks original and in not to bad shape, the hull looks like it had not been banged around either. The 100hp is 15 over the rating for the boat and in my opinion to much, but that is just me, I had one with an 85 and one with a 90 both Johnnyrudes and they went like scaulded cats. Make sure to check the area of the floor at the bottom of the consuls for soft spots as well as the transom under the splashwell, if the splashwell is starting to seperate from the transom it is a good indicator it will need attention. The compression on the 100 should be even and in the 105-115 range. As far as price if it all checks out he is not to far far off on his asking price for our part of the country if you find any problems use it to bargain.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ditto what Glen said there;)

And yah, I think he set a very fair price on that set up.

Happy hunting :D

SKDave

Seaman Apprentice

Made a 600km round trip to look at this boat. Compression went 120 120 85 120. Leg oil came out looking almost silver and filled with shavings. Transom was rotted enough to push through with your finger. Someone had ran two threaded rods from transom to top of splash well in an attempt to hold the boat together.
Anyway, passed on this gem and am still looking.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Made a 600km round trip to look at this boat. Compression went 120 120 85 120. Leg oil came out looking almost silver and filled with shavings. Transom was rotted enough to push through with your finger. Someone had ran two threaded rods from transom to top of splash well in an attempt to hold the boat together.
Anyway, passed on this gem and am still looking.

Ughhhhhh yuck

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great catch on the compression #'s. That would bump $2K right off the top for me. What did the seller say when you pointed that out?

dozerII

Admiral

That sucks Dave, the transoms on these boats are so easy to fix, it makes you wonder why people goe to all kinds of lengths to jury-rig a fix. There are lots more SS's out there but you usually have to travel for them.

SKDave

Seaman Apprentice

Seller didn't say much, I only talked to him over the phone. Not sure if he was surprised or not. I guess I will ask more specific questions the next time around. Gears were on the way out as well, boat wasn't worth more then a few hundred bucks. I will keep looking, have all winter now