16p Black Max vs16p Vengeance

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick question in the on going ss vs aluminum. I have a 03 merc 115 4 stroke on a 01 Bayliner 184. I currently run a Black Max 13 1/4 x 16 pitch prop. Puts me right at 42 mph 6000 rpms. I realize vengeance is entry level and not styled much different from the black max. My question is has anyone done this switch 13 1/4 x 16 black max to 13 1/8 x 16 vengeance? I am just looking to see if I could gain 1-2mph. I am happy with my black max but if I could gain a little top end that would be nice, but if nothing would change it would be a waste of money for me. thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 16p Black Max vs16p Vengeance

Can't tell you about the switch.I can tell you that based on the numbers you gave your present setup is about perfect.
Your slip is a very good 4%, Very efficient.
You might try the same model in a 17. Could drop the rpm about 200 and if it can keep the same slip get about 1 mph increase.
May slow your holeshot and it may struggle a little more with a load.
You might read up on the props caricturistics Based on your numbers its hard to believe a change could result in much improvement in speed It is possible the Vengence might help overall performance but I don't know its caricturistics.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

steelspike,

I actually had a 17p aluminum and loaded up with family and gear she only turned about 5400-5500. I do like the black max and it runs my 115 right were it should be. I was just looking to gain a little mph. I have researched props and 16p is the prop of choice for the merc 115, I just haven't found any aluminum vs ss in the 16 pitch.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going to try the vengeance tomorrow so I will let you guys know. Is the vengeance cupped at all or is it basically just a ss black max? I just hope it doesn't perform like previous 17p props I tried.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried the ss vengeance. Got 42.5 at 6100. I actually gained about a 100 rpm, don't ask me how that happened, I did just change the plugs and the old ones weren't gapped correctly so maybe there. Anyway I like the prop holeshot and corning are obviously better than the aluminum. But overall not to much difference-didn't expect it though. These numbers are just with me in the boat so when the family and gear are in the boat the rpms will be just about as perfect as they can get, plus I got the prop for $130 which is a steal.