16ft lund aluminium boat add kicker motor

Bknboat16

Cadet
I have a 25hp motor on an old 80's 16ft lund aluminium tiller type boat. Want to add a small 4hp outboard kicker next to it. Problem is that the kicker motor doesnt get full swing next to the 25hp with the handle down . What would be best way to mount it ? Adjustable Outboard motor bracket?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've had some adjustable brackets and most were awful. The absolute best one is no longer in production.

My current 2 boats are fitted with Panther (brand) fixed brackets. They set the OB back 6" or so and they work very well. Very strong and no moving parts. You merely tilt the kicker up rather than raising it up.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can be off a little without a problem. I have a 40 merc as my main engine with plenty of room for my kicker on my 16' Sylvan. They are close but clear each other. My kicker is set for straight ahead and I steer with my bow mt trolling motor, having the remote steering makes it a breeze.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Can be off a little without a problem. I have a 40 merc as my main engine with plenty of room for my kicker on my 16' Sylvan. They are close but clear each other. My kicker is set for straight ahead and I steer with my bow mt trolling motor, having the remote steering makes it a breeze.
I built my first boat from plans. I also bought a "kit" trailer. I mounted the engine myself.

The instructions were very clear about the need to center the engine on the transom. Every subsequent boat I ever had was set up with a tape measure as well. Right or wrong? I dunno. But I think I'll continue to stick with the middle.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I built my first boat from plans. I also bought a "kit" trailer. I mounted the engine myself.

The instructions were very clear about the need to center the engine on the transom. Every subsequent boat I ever had was set up with a tape measure as well. Right or wrong? I dunno. But I think I'll continue to stick with the middle.
It can afford to be off center when a kicker motor is attached beside it !!! No one is recomending putting the main engine off center just for fun....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It can afford to be off center when a kicker motor is attached beside it !!! No one is recomending putting the main engine off center just for fun....
Why would it be for fun? What's the difference if there is a kicker or not? Sometimes you will want to run the main all by itself. How much off center are we talking? A 1/2" or 2"?

Now there's an experiment for inquiring minds that want to know. Take a clamp-on tiller and see just how crooked it can be. The data would give the OP exactly what he needs to know.

Or, he can buy a bracket.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Why would it be for fun? What's the difference if there is a kicker or not? Sometimes you will want to run the main all by itself. How much off center are we talking? A 1/2" or 2"?

Now there's an experiment for inquiring minds that want to know. Take a clamp-on tiller and see just how crooked it can be. The data would give the OP exactly what he needs to know.

Or, he can buy a bracket.
Over my 50 plus years of boating, I have had the need to run numerous outboards off center by as much as 3-4" without issue. Just need a slight counterbalance. In my much younger days when wooden boats with tiller motors were popular, it was common to offset the motor to give the driver more comfort to steer. With today bolt on motors, most use a bracket for the kicker, but many of the 25hp and under still use a clamp, so moving it off center a couple inches means nothing. I ran many old motors off center and pulled skiers especially with my old 18hp Evinrude, not one issue!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't the main need to be exactly in the middle?
Not necessarily on that sized boat. I have seen it done on several boats and it seems to work fine. Another example is a larger boat with a dual engine setup for folks that go offshore. If one fails, they come home on the other with the dead engine tilted up. I would imagine that you may have some slight tiller pressure to keep the boat straight ahead. If your 25 has a trim tab, (which I doubt) that would help to balance the tiller pressure.