165hp Mercruiser Fuel Pump!!!

I have a 1971 165hp Mercruiser. I am thinking about switching to an Electronic fuel pump. I can't really find much info on them. I was wondering if anyone knows of an Electric fuel pump that I can use on this motor that isn't terribly expensive. Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 165hp Mercruiser Fuel Pump!!!

Howdy,

The marine electric fuel pumps are usually around $150-200 or so.

Why don't you want to just use the right pump for that engine?

Well I was wanting to use the mech pump but I thought I might be able to find an electric one cheaper. I saw some universal ones with the right PSI for like 45 bucks I wasn't sure if one of those would work. I really would like to this boat running again but I just don't have the most cash flow due to 3 of my 4 kids having medical issues. Thanks for the input

ziggy

Admiral

whats wrong with the old one?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I saw some universal ones with the right PSI for like 45 bucks

Those are marine pumps?

I bought an OEM replacement mechanical pump from Schucks Autoparts for About $60. It was an Airtex 60932. Schucks (and Autozone etc) have Master and Airtex catalogs that list marine pumps for just everything out there in "Marine World" (Airtex is the OEM fuel pump manufacturer for just about everyone on the planet including Mercury)

whats wrong with the old one?

It's 38 years old and doesn't push enough gas to keep the motor running. I have had everything double checked with my marine mech. and he said that that was the problem. I asked him how much one was and he told me 140 installed. So I figured I would find one cheaper and put it on myself.

ziggy

Admiral

It's 38 years old and doesn't push enough gas to keep the motor running.
i can believe the rubber diaphragm has degraded over the years. mine degraded too so i replaced it with the diaphragm kit from mercruiser for about $40 + or -, don't remember how much. but pretty cheap.
as far as pushing enough fuel. it don't push much. 3-6 psi is the word i believe. i'd t in a fuel pump pressure gauge and see what ya get. i think if it don't leak, then that probably ain't the problem.. the fuel pressure gauge will tell you your facts though.

yes, i understand you have the old style fuel pump. me too. it's a decision your gonna have to deal with. your now educated about the difference from your other thread. so you are gonna have to make the decision as to which way to go. rebuild, replace w/new style oem pump or engineer in the electric one. myself, i'd not engineer in a elec. fuel pump. it just ain't what the L6 came with, and the proper mech. one is easy to put in and work good. they're not horribly expensive as marine fuel pumps go i don't think.

i still question the marine techs advise right now. if he's checked it out, ask him what pressure he's getting from it. if his statement about it not being able to push the fuel is true, his answer had better be lower than 3 psi. have you done any test that are in the fuel system check up in the adults only sticky? if you have a fuel restriction or air leak before the pump, the pump will not work as it supposed too either. i assume you've replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the screen at the carb.

if you decide to rebuild, remember the consequences of running your 1971 oem of fuel pump.. the standards of today, do not meet the standards of yesterday it seems...

i can believe the rubber diaphragm has degraded over the years. mine degraded too so i replaced it with the diaphragm kit from mercruiser for about $40 + or -, don't remember how much. but pretty cheap.

Do you by chance have a link or a website of were you bought that cause I have looked all over for a diaphragm. Thanks

ziggy

Admiral

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...br=983&bnbr=30&bdesc=FUEL+PUMP+AND+CARBURETOR

i researched that one for a 71 165. item 3

in your other thread, i searched for my 75 165... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=313104 post #14, second link. might be the same item. i didn't look.

personally, i went to my local mercruiser dealer and he had the part on hand for me the day i went in.. i'm lucky, i have a mercrusier dealer within a mile from me. another one within 2 miles from me. so i tend to support my local shops....