165 HP mercruiser newbi with ??s

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I just purchased a 76 glastron with a 205 cid IL6 and a pre alpha drive.
Here are the numbers--
engine serial--F10176SD
drive--4438213

Boat sat for 3 seasons untouched. Was winterized before storage.

What I've found so far.
I bypassed the fuel tank (wasn't sure what was in it) and with some coaxing it started and ran. It needs a new rotor and plugs along with some carb cleaner. Basic tune up stuff.

The ddrive goes in and out of forward and reverse with no problems. (I am runnig it on muffs, haven't had it in the water yet.)

The trim/drive goes down, but not up. I have tried the up and up and trailer buttons together.

Is this motor the basically the same as a GMC truck motor of the same vintage? I asked about this at my local auto parts store for things like a rotor, oil filter, distributor cap, ect. Are they okay to use?

What manual should I purchase to help with some future repairs. The P.O. gave me a Abos manual that is supposed to cover 6 different manufacturers in my year range. It has about 6-7 pages on my engine/ drive but I want something a little more in depth. Your suggestions please. I have seen links to boatfix.com but can't find any sort of on line manual?

Sorry for the laundry list of questions, but this is my first I/O and I just know enough to be dangerous.

Thanks,

Jim

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 165 HP mercruiser newbi with ??s

Hey I think I can help you with alot of your questions but first are you sure its not a 250 cid. I ask because that is the 165 mercruiser I have, a 250, 4.1 liter L6.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Yes, it is the same basic engine as GM used in it's trucks, and you can get prety much any oil filter for it.

However, ALL, ignition, fuel, charging and starting parts are marine specific. If you skimp on these...

BOOM

ziggy

Admiral

1st thing to do is go to the mercruiser dealer for parts. napa's ok but specify marine parts for everything wherever ya go. auto parts aint cool in boats. worry about expoding. get a oem service manual. ebay has them sometimes. might even still be able to get it from mercrusier. good books.....don't think there's a online parts manual available.

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey ziggy what does your boat top out at?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Napa sells the Sierra line of marine parts.I use the Napa 8mm marine wires and tune up kit.They should have everything you need.:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your not going to find any manuals for engines and drives before the early 80's, so might as well get set to buy an OEM manual from a Merc dealer or ebay if you want the best information.
You will be looking for Mercruiser manual #2, pn 90-71707.
It covers only Mercruiser engines and drives used between 74 and 77.
After manual #2 did Merc start using seperate manuals for engines and drives.

Since it sat that long, I would suggest a full tuneup, all filters and oil changes. Pulling the drive and checking the ujoints, gimbal bearing, raw water pump impeller, engine alignment, ujoint bellows (VERY expensive if they get a hole in them) change gear lube in the drive, make sure every thing runs, works, shifts, etc. before you ever think about putting it in the water.

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about the CID. It is a 250 cubic inch motor.

paul2112

Seaman

HAd the same problem with mine not going up...On my tilt/trim panel, you push the lower button (just one)to go down and the 2 uppers ones(at the same time) to go up...Hope this helps