165 hp merc 4 cyl questions

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at a used boat that seems to be in good condition. Has the merc 165 hp four cylinder motor that runs good. Only problem is owner said when he hooks the tach up it wont start, un hook the tach and it works fine. Also anybody have anything good or bad to say about this motor. Its on a 19 foot open bow.

krobbins

Cadet
Re: 165 hp merc 4 cyl questions

Looking at a used boat that seems to be in good condition. Has the merc 165 hp four cylinder motor that runs good. Only problem is owner said when he hooks the tach up it wont start, un hook the tach and it works fine. Also anybody have anything good or bad to say about this motor. Its on a 19 foot open bow.

I have that motor and there are several issues but if you are mechanically inclined you can fix yourself. Supposed to be a beefy motor and dependable and great fuel economy. 1- Do a alternator conversion (search breezeworks site for how to). 2- Cam shaft lobe wears down a groove on seal and allows water to leak into engine and mix with oil (have to pull engine, but breezeworks site has a lot of technical advice and diagrams). 3- Heat exchanger should be upgraded to the 4 inch instead of 3 inch to keep from overheating.
Make sure before you buy it that you run it in the water for at least an hour to see if any of these problems develop, and if they do low ball his price by a couple thousand dollars and do work yourself, and you should have a great engine.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Most here would say flat out NO but here is my opinion, for what is worth: That motor is going to be 20+ years old, and you are probably on a budget if you are considering a boat that old, so if you are not mechanically inclined and would feel comfortable doing major engine work like removing the head or replacing the water pump cam seals yourself, don't do it. If still reading, there are some things that you MUST do: Ask for all of the repair records, and see what has been done to the motor. You need to see the motor run and be prepared to spend some time (1 1/2 hour or so) to check it out. Stop over to Autozone and pick up a tach/dwell meter, compression tester and cooling system pressure tester (they will let you use them free). You will need full access to the engine so have them pull the box from around it. Do the cooling test first, if it passes, hook up the tach, and with the engine running about 1000 rpm pull the plug wires from the distributor one at a time and note the rpm loss, it should be the same for all cylinders, if not be suspicious. with it running check the weep hole on the front of the circulating pump (lower starboard side of pump) for any sign of leakage, If leaking you need new cam seals, a pain , but you can do it if there is enough room to pull the harmonic balancer off the engine, otherwise big money to fix. If everything is OK, with the engine warm, do a compression check. Pay special attention to cyls #3 & 4 if either one (especially 4) is even 10# lower than the rest it will probably need either a head gasket or valve job. Lastly make sure that the battery is charging properly. Have them fix the tach before you buy it. So there you have it, it is up to you now. Oh and if you decide to look for a 4.3 V6 get it in writing that if the block is (or has been) cracked, you get your money back. Good luck. BTW I do like mine.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are just to many boats for sale to even worry about it I will move on. It was in great shape but he was asking premium price of 3500 said he would take 3200. I am also looking at a 21 foot marada with a v-8 tonight but its omc.. So would the omc be better or the 165 hp he's also asking 3400. Havent seen in person but says it is in great condition boat is an 1989

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

IMHO - both are way overpriced. OMC has been out of business for many years. Parts are available, but sometimes difficult to find. Sometimes new is impossible, have to settle for used. Mechanics are getting scarce that know those beasts. Look for a boat with merc or volvo power. That price range should get you a pretty decent rig. Don't take my word for it, search the forum here and do some reading. Too many boats out there to deal with obsolete technology...