16" Transom Boats???

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone point me in the direction to what manufacturer, if any, makes 16" transoms on boats that are rated for 50hp and have remote steering and throttle capability? Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 16" Transom Boats???

50HP on a 15" transom is probably the max power for that size boat. You may need to look at an old boat, since most newer boats with that power ar 20" transoms.

You might explain why you are looking for this. I presume you already have a shortshaft 50HP motor.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, got the horse before the cart, lol. People have always told me not to put the cart before the horse. lol

No, the truth is I got a good deal on it, real good. Its a good motor, Merc 500. I am looking into getting an extension kit for it, but I thought that it might be an idea to just get a boat instead. I have a boat with a 21" transom.

Why do they not make boats with shorter transoms that can handle the larger horsepower anymore?

Any ideas on what "brand" boat I should be looking for in an older one with the short transom?

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I believe Carolina Skiffs makes a 20" and 15" transoms in their smaller boats.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Northwest Arkansas, i need to put that on my profile I guess.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, they do have short transoms, but look at the max horse power. 40 :(

capt sam

unless you're insuring it I wouldn't sweat it too much, the horsepower rating on most outboards is off anyways.

what about the little BW skiffs?

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Didnt see them. Did see the JV 17 cc, it looks good. I emailed the closest dealer to me and asked for a price. What do you think these things run?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just a couple hours up the road from me. Are you looking for aluminum or fiberglass, or do you care?

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, I go down your way every once in a while. I am not real picky right now, just checking to see what my options are. What I want is; stick steer or console steer, vinyl or carpet floor, hull material does not really matter to me. It will simply be something that I use for myself and sons to go fishing with, therefore I want something that is somewhat stable in the water and quiet when inside.

We had a old aluminum v bottom before, but if the wind blew a tiny bit you were fighting it all the time. It also had no floor of any kind lending itself to loud noises.

I most of all want something that my boys can drive themselves, with me in the boat with them obviously, just to build memories with.

I know that is a little more info than needed, but thats the kind of boat I am looking for.

capt sam

you can't get much more stable than a Carolina Skiff, they have flat bottomed skiffs that hold up well. That being said they're great on lakes but not so much on a big body of water like the Gulf, you'll get pounded to death in them.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

"more info than needed" is never a problem on here:). Sounds like a jack plate might be in order, but you really need to talk to Silvertip. You sure don't want to put too much hp on your boat, and even worse, hang too much weight off the back of it, especially given the precious cargo you intend to carry. Not sure what age the motor is, but some of the older 50s can be pretty heavy. I don't know if a small pontoon would work given the length of your motor shaft, but it would be worth considering even if you had to have the motor pod modified. A 50 horse would be perfect on a little 18' foot barge.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own a Carolina Skiff J16 and it is awesome. The bare hull for mine was only around $900. The JV17SS would suit your needs. The bare hulls are alot cheaper than you think. Stable as anything to.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, can you send photos of your boat? That sounds real reasonable. What do you mean by "bare"? I mean, what all was on/in the boat when you got it? Did yours have a 16" transom, how many h.p. did you put on it?

I thought about a jack plate. Not sure if it is still not out of the question. I have another motor for my other boat, just taking my time rebuilding it. Got a good deal on this one, decided I could might get into a nice little boat, and decide which one to keep after I get done with the rebuild.

Not sure on how much weight would be too much. It is an older Merc, 1968. It weighs around 180-200 I am guessing, maybe not that much. One site I looked at said around 170. It is at least that. Would that be too much off a jack plate?

I could go for a pontoon. If I found one local, how would I measure it to make sure that my motor would work? I know how to measure regular boats, never measured a pontoon. My wife would love it if I got a pontoon. Great idea, thanks!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Unless I missed it you don't mention the length of the shaft, not that I really need to know. Of course pod dimensions vary from brand to brand and year to year so there's really no way to know for sure whether your motor will work until you find a barge that interests you. However, you could probably find out a lot just by performing a key word search online. It is absolutely mind boggling how much info is out there! You could also check with local marine dealers for their thoughts. Some will be happy to help, others will blow you off; at least that's how it is down here. The thing to remember is those motor pods can be refabricated by a good aluminum welder, so if you find a pontoon you like you could provide him/her with all the relevant details and get an idea of whether it can be done, whether it makes sense, etc. Also, I mentioned 18' but a 50hp would work well with a 20' barge too, really any size depending on how fast you want to go LOL. FYI I had a 19' barge with a 50hp and it would go 20mph at WOT with a tail wind. It would pull my seven year old on a tube at about 17mph. They're also great for night fishing. Lots of room to spread out and relax.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That's a VERY loaded question. Start checking Craigslist and be sure to include Little Rock in your search. You'll find everything from complete rigs to nothing but the toons and maybe the deck, and pricing will be completely random! Kinda fun though. If you want I'll pass ones on to you that I think might interest you.