16' Holiday - SMART TABS anyone use them?

Fishatron

Cadet
Hello Starmada,
I am thinking about some Nautilus SMART TABS SX for my 1976 16' Holiday with a 55 hp Yamaha. Just wanting to get up on plane a bit quicker and maybe improve on fuel economy a little bit and top speed, why not, right?

Can anyone chime in on their performance or experiences with this product on a similar boat as mine?

My main question is the following. I have a line on on a set (new in box), but I think the actuator force is a little high at 80 lbs. The seller is selling at about 1/2 price than BassPro.

When I use the Smart selector on the Nautilus website, it recommends either the 40lb -60 lb actuators. I know that this product has adjustment holes to fine tune the actuator force, do you think there would be enough adjustment room to tune down the 80lb actuator to suit my 16fter??

I probably know the answer but just wondering what you guys think.

cheers!

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: 16' Holiday - SMART TABS anyone use them?

I've never heard any complaints about Smart tabs, but I would think you are about 20 hp underpowered, and would probably be happier get better fuel economy and be happier with a repower.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Getting the right tabs is only $120. A 70hp on my 18' Chief planes it off fine and quickly without tabs, and moves me at 30mph, so I'd try them out before a repower.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Again I have never heard a bad review about smart tabs. But using the 80% rule your boat is under powered. Your boat is ratedfor 85 hp meaning you should really have at minimum a 70 hp. In my opiniom tabs would just be masking a problem.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Fish, I was undecided between 60 and 80 lb for my 21' Holiday with 120 HP Mercruiser. I chose to err on the cautious side and went with the 60's, which seem quite adequate. The last thing you want is to stick 2 paddle ends into the water that won't retract adequately and remain dragging after you're on plane. Your boat is relatively light compared to an "average" boat that includes fiberglass models. The 80 lb are definitely too heavy. Combine the light weight with modest horsepower and I'm sure that the 60 lb is still too heavy. I'd go with the 40's. - Grandad

barato2

Commander

i think Grandad has it nailed there. yes, tabs. no, 80 lb actuators.

Fishatron

Cadet

Alright guys, thanks for the feedback. I will definitely get a set of the 40 lbers for this season. I would love to upgrade the outboard but unfortunately that's a huge expense for me right now. I will keep my eye open though :)

If anyone else is interested in the set of 80 lbers for $75, let me know and I can forward you the ad. Located in Stratford, Ontario. Apparently the seller bought them for his bayliner, but his transom is too curved.

thanks!

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a set on a 16 foot fiberglass boat,, work awesome but I am not sure of their rating. If anyone wants them or the boat they are attached to, let me know.