16 ft Lund Boat Kicker

Matador51

Cadet
I have a 16 ft Lund Pike SS with a 50 hp four stroke. The boat weighs 645 ;bs (before motor) has 20" transom and 65" at the stern.<br /><br />To date I have used an electric trolling motr as my backup but I am ranging farther and farther away from civilization. a couple of the lakes we went to last year you could spend a day or two before help arrived should the main motor fail.<br /><br />It appears like there is interefernece with the main outboard if I mount a kicker motor on the transom. Has anyone any experience with installing a kicker on a 16 ft Lund and what size would be best?<br /><br />Thanks for your assistance.

Matador51

Cadet
Re: 16 ft Lund Boat Kicker

I forgot to mention I have about 14"-15" from the main motor to either side of the transom.

JRJ

Commander

I can't help you as far as a Lund, but I would get a small and light motor. 2-5 HP maybe. A radio and cell phone would be a good idea. Just where are you going? I'll come and give you a hand with the stress of too much water and no people :D

rwidman

Lieutenant

Radio and cell phone. And flares. Oars? Regular maintenance on the engine is a good idea. Don't take it out if you question its reliability.<br /><br />An extra engine is extra weight and maintenance. And if it's fuel problem your backup engine won't work either.

Matador51

Cadet

I started fishing in northern Saskatchewan where men are men and the moose are nervous.<br /><br />I carry a spare tank of gasoline so bad fuel is not as much an issue as the main motor failing and the electric trolling motor battery dying before I reach the dock.<br /><br />No cell phone service in those remote areas either.

JRJ

Commander

Keep an eye on the moose, they are purty feisty on light tackel. You may have to add a bracket on the transom for your kicker. No big deal. Have fun up there in Saskatchewan (hope you spelled it right) :D

Matador51

Cadet

I have an idea that the stern or the 15" is not wide enough for the kicker and main motor to work togeather. My buddy has a Pro-V and there is a linkage between both motors and he uses the steering consule to steer the boat.<br /><br />Would you say portability is important? Would you make it a permanent mount or remove the kicker each night?

JRJ

Commander

The only kicker I used was 15HP and weighed 100lbs. Weight affects the balance of your boat and your back and arms when you carry the sucker. You can lock it to the boat if you're worried about theft. I used the kicker for trolling and as a backup. I changed main motors, and am so happy with the new one, I sold the 15.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A Lowe 16' Alum. 72"w / 15" transom. Has both Elect remote 28 and 9.9 hp with dual side by side controls. And a 41# electric. 2 fantastic armed chairs. Love to fish at sunset in those chairs. IT's the chairs that make the boat. 9.9 is tie roded to the 28 and the troller. I rarely use the 28.-----------------------------------------------------I also row the boat for exercise.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Matador51:<br /> I carry a spare tank of gasoline so bad fuel is not as much an issue as the main motor failing
What are the odds of a well maintained motor failing? If you are not comfortable with it, replace it with a new one. <br /><br />There are a lot of other things that could happen to you out there (medical problem, falling overboard, lightning strike, sinking, etc.). If you're really that worried, stay closer to civilization.<br /><br />Do boaters in your area use VHF marine radios? That's the normal emergency contact method in my area.

Matador51

Cadet

Like most things, once I get engaged I spend a lot of time researching the topic.<br /><br />My findings are:<br />(1)-I calculated my hull speed to be 5.4 knots. If your not going to be planing that seems to be the practical limit of how fast the boat can be pushed.<br />(2)- I calculated the Hp required for that displacement to be ~1.8. No wind, current & 500 lbs misc weight. (passengers included) Total weight for the boat, 50 HP & new kicker is ~1450 lbs.<br />(3)- I know my boat with a 50 hp four stroke doesn't have a lot of excess power so weight is important. The Honda 5 Hp, 4-stroke, with 1 cylinder weights 61 lbs compared to a 83 for a Yamaha 6 hp with 2 cylinders. Let's assume the Honda is the one I choose.<br />(4)- The theoretical speed for that motor is 14.69 knots. (~15.23 for the Yamaha). In the real world there is prop slip & that equals about 45%, so the calculated speed for the boat is 8.08 knots. There should be a match between the hull speed and the motor speed because they ultimately have to move at the same speed. With too much HP you end up wasting a lot of fuel for a marginal increase in speed.<br />(5)- With the Honda I have 2.6 extra Hp in my back pocket for wind etc or almost 50% safety factor based on the 1.8 hp requirement from above.<br /><br />Briggs & Stratton also have a 5 hp 4-stroke on or two pounds lighter for about half the price. Anyone have any experience with these?<br /><br />My other question if the Honda 1 cylinder will vibrate a lot more than a 2 cylinder?

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, The Brigs engine vibrates a lot! And it is quite noisy just like a lawnmower. Do a search on here for more information on it. Questions on it have been asked here before.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have a similar boat, motor, weight, etc. I also fish in then wilderness where there is no help in an emergency or if you should hit one of the 999 gazillion rocks that are out there.<br /><br />I bought a 4hp Merc. Love the motor, but it is not enough power to control the boat in waves or wind. Also, I can only get 3.2 mph before the prop blows out. You will be trying to push all that weight with a tiny prop.<br /><br />1 - make sure you get a long shaft motor or you will regret it.<br />2 - The Briggs & Stratton motor is only available in short shaft, is noisy, and is not designed or intended to be used for trolling.<br />3 - Yes a 1 cylinder motor will vibrate more than a 2 cylinder.<br /><br />Iboats is selling some 2005 8 hp Merc 4 stroke longshaft lightweight version motors for $1399, weighs about 85#.<br /><br />The Merc 6hp is 60#.<br /><br /> http://www.boatmotors.com/motorparts/index.cgi?pid=5073&flag=2

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well, I'll throw my .02 in here as well.<br /><br />try to simplify this a little .. you can crunch all the numbers ya want and calculate the moons effect too but, when it comes down to it - your fishing.. <br /><br />What we did on our older Lund 16'-18' tillers was used 7.5 Johnson kickers for both forward and back trolling.. and they served well. you can pick older ones up between $400-$500 in good solid condition.. if you want new - go new(er). Yes, they've been 'refined' but, when it comes down to it they're still a secondary (kicker) motor. That 7.5 won't break the sound barrier but its capable of 'limping' you back in if the situation occurs on that boat.