15hp Sears, won't pump water. Impellar wrong way?

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys,<br /><br /> Have a Sears/Ted Williams 1974 15hp. Runs excellent, but it won't pump water right. I have everything lined up right and all, the impellar is in great shape. Now, does the impellar have to be facing a certain way? It seems to be turning the wrong way. I do get a little water pumping but it doesn't seem to be enough, of course the impellar is very small so maybe thats all its supposed to pump. Any ideas? Thanks!

stougas

Cadet
Re: 15hp Sears, won't pump water. Impellar wrong way?

If the impeller was installed with the fins backwards it will straighten itself out once the motor starts up.<br /><br />Did you replace the impeller already with a new one? You may have some blockage in the pump outlet so use a compressor and blow it out.<br /><br />Good luck

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Thats what I thought it would do. I didn't replace with a new one, the lower unit was supposedly just partially rebuilt (new impellar, bearings, etc.) and it is very supple and new looking. I should have thought of blowing it out.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

All I got out of my 7.5 is just warm spray, which is normal, out of relief ports. Does yours pee water or spray like mine did?

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

check t-stat they are bad to stick

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike, it sends a steady stream now that it seems to be working. Have no idea why it started working now, maybe just needed to clear out some oil deposits or something.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

probably just some old crud it had sucked up finally got blowed out. <br />I'm originally from WA and if the water is as clean and clear in Idaho as it was in WA then junk in the water other than maybe weeds shouldn't really get in the way tho. The water down here in AL tends to be a little trashy, organic stuff like plant matter or bark from trees. We also are notorious for Eurasian milfoil which grows into thick mats and can clog up the intakes on the motor. Keep that in mind and check them when you run shallow.<br /><br />Mike

24tesla

Seaman

:Hijacking thread:<br />Mikeyzx2,<br />I have the 7.5, how much spray do you get coming out? I get little to none, and have installed a new impeller, made sure ports were clean. In a 'test' tank (A high tech tall kitchen trash can) I get little to no spray. Looks like a drop or two of water being blown out every now and then. I get more from the spray of a Windex bottle. Should it be more?