15hp prop seal

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I got this 15hp 2stroke mercury that has sat for a few years around 7. Well I have the motor running like new. Well it wouldn't shift so I took out the drain plug on the lower unit and a few drops of water came out.:eek: Well I flussed it out and put some new oil with seafoam mixed in so it could clean out the gunk. Then ran it for a hour in the bucket no leaks and after a little work at getting the shifter to loosen up it now shifts like new. Then in the morning drained it and alot of gunk came out. Put new oil in and then put it back in the bucket to do more testing. let it warm up and gave it a good rev and it started pissing oil. I took of the prop and it's leaking from the outer seal on the prop bearing carrier not the seal for the prop shaft. So my ? is how do I remove the carrier without any special tools? I am very good with cars just never done this.

I'll post pics soon.:)

Laddies

Banned
Re: 15hp prop seal

Thats tough without the right spanner, I know a couple people that toke a piece of pipe and cut notches in it to make a tool, that works in fresh water I doubt if it would stand up in salt water engines

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya I thought it would be a spanner wrench.;) It also has no corrosion on the lower unit so it shouldn't be to hard to remove. This motor is really my friends he just wanted to see if it worked then he was going to stick it back in the shed. He doesn't have a boat and probably never will again. So I was thinking of offering him 75$ for it. If I get it for 75$ that would be a good deal.:D I don't know the year I need to look that up.

pics
DSC03223.jpg

DSC03224.jpg

DSC03225.jpg

:D

Laddies

Banned

That would be a steal of a deal, if you look at the prop spacer that goes behind the prop, many of the early engines had a s/steel ring that you could remove and turn the spacer around and it was the spanner you use to remove the carrier