15HP Merc 2-stroke - Broken Manual Tilt?

psa55

Cadet
Hey all,

I've got a 15 HP Merc 2-stroke that I picked up brand new in 2009. It's got a tiller handle and shift. I can't get the manual tilt working and have to reach around behind the motor to get it to unlock the tilt behind the shaft. Previously, I could always use the Tilt Lock and Tilt Unlock button the side. When in the tilt unlock position, I could pull it up and anytime by the handle on the back of cowl, but no longer. The small semi-circular lever, below the serial number in the third pic, is what I need to pull up on to be able to tilt the motor up.

I can't seem to find the problem, but I did find this small piece under the motor, when I just pulled it out of storage. Looks like a piece of some kind of knob, but I can't see where it goes, although it looks like a piece from the motor. Anyone have advice on the repair, how and/or where to look?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo288073.jpg
    photo288073.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • photo288074.jpg
    photo288074.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 8
  • photo288075.jpg
    photo288075.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There is a matching knob and hardware on the port side. Could the knob be from there? Parts 17, 18 and 19. Maybe the knob is binding on the screw, #17, or a broken spring, #18.

clampbracket.PNG

If the other knob came off, pawl #16 could be jammed in the teeth. The pawl is also used on both sides, but the drawing only shows it on one side, but the parts list has a quantity of 2 used.

clampbracket2.PNG

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put the motor in forward then tilt it up. That knob is only to lock the motor in Place when it is Tilted Up. Putting the motor in forward is the correct way to unlock And tilt it.

psa55

Cadet
flyingscott!!! FTW. I can't believe I have been putting this motor up and down incorrectly since the day I bought it... I put it in gear and up it went. I ran out to try it and couldn't believe it was that simple.

GA_Boater, thank for the advice. I took Part #17,18 and 19 apart, which screw into #11 and are for the tilt lock/unlock. I checked the matching components on the other side, which control the trim settings 1,2,3. No sign of any pieces missings or broken. It appears the part is unrelated to my tilt issue.

Thanks to both of you!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well good. Nuttin' to fix and that's great - The best kind of fix. :D