15hp evinrude reverse problem

rosgood14

Seaman
i recently bought a 95 evinrude 15hp and it ran fine the first time i had it out. i took it out today and it worked just fine until i went to trailer it. i was crooked on my trailer so i went to back off and it wouldnt go into reverse which i had just used 30 sec earlier to back off the dock. it goes into forward just fine and there is no grinding or anything its almost like something is just jammed for some reason and im trying to find out what.

also this may be normal but the motor pumps water just fine when going forward but at low idol and in reverse it doesnt seem to pump much water if any at all. the water pump was just replaced by the shop that i bought it from.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15hp evinrude reverse problem

Will the shift lever go back into reverse or does it stop at the neutral position? If it stops there, look for something loose or jammed in the upper shift linkage.

Rick.

Captain

It is also possible your rpm's were to high and it that would prevent it from going into reverse. Best of luck. Rick.

rosgood14

Seaman

no the shift lever will not go past neutral i looked briefly while i was at the boat ramp and did not see anything in the way and i had the rpms all the way down and it would not go. thanks

AlTn

Commander

the site...shop.evinrude.com...has diagrams of your shift lever setup under evinrude..year, hp.,model..I think it's under crankcase/cylinder...yours may have something loose, missing, or broken..Study them closely as it may be that minor

rosgood14

Seaman

well i found the problem it was a metal rod that goes up to the flywheel i think it has something to do with the system that stops the motor from starting in gear. the metal rod had shifted over somehow so i had to bend it back so that it would slide back through the slot. thanks for the help.