15HP Evinrude leaking gear oil.

top_notch

Cadet
I recently acquired a 1978 15HP Evinrude for an 8' aqualark. The motor is leaking gear oil near/by the prop. I'm pretty sure the motor was sitting for a while. The impeller and carb/fuel pump are new. The motor runs great but I need to fix the leak. Anybody done this before or have tips/pointers as to how to do it? I plan to stop by the library to find a service manual but any information is appreciated.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15HP Evinrude leaking gear oil.

I would be very supprised if it indeed is gear oil. Does smell kind of like rotten eggs?

If not then most likely it will be unburned oil from the engine that is draining down inside the exhaust housing & out the prop area. It will normally be BLACK & will not have any offensive odor.

This is normal.

Check for water in the gearcase, if you've got a leak there's a good chance at least a little water will be getting in. The gear lube would be milky looking, as well as possibly some pure water sitting in the bottom of it.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you determine it is gear oil, then it is wise to replace the prop shaft and drive shaft seals, plus the shift rod o ring.

Here is how to do it without taking the gear case apart.

The prop shaft and drive shaft each have two seals back to back, they are all identical however. See below for how I just tackled this chore on my 1975 9.9/15:

Figure out how thick each seal is, as usually the prop and drive shaft seals are two back to back. Select a drill bit that will be the right pilot size for a 1.5 inch long deck screw. Mark the drill bit with tape to indicate how far you can drill into the edge of the seal and not go so far as to hit the aluminum casting below the seal. Dip the bit in grease to catch any chips it will be making. Now carefully drill into the outer metal part of the seal until you are at the taped mark on the bit. Next, screw in the deck screw into the hole you just drilled and using a small flat board and a claw hammer, pull on the head of the deck screw and remove the seals. If you do it carefully, you will go through both seals with the screw and they will come out together, easy as pie. Of course, you destroy the seals, but if they were good they would not be needing removal anyway!

For a shift rod seal, unthread the shift rod, and remove it. Get a new shift rod bushing, washer, and o ring seal. Tap the shift rod bushing with a tap dipped in grease, then thread a long piece of all-thread into the bushing. Now you can take a bar of steel with a hole in it for the all-thread and place it across the gear case top with the all-thread going through the hole. Run a washer and nut down the all-thread until it hits the steel bar and begin tightening the nut to pull the shift rod bushing out. Put grease on the new oring and washer and insert them into the cavity where the old o ring and washer were, and drive home the new shift shaft bushing on top of them, Replace shift rod and thread it in place.