15hp Chrysler Misfire - Need help

luckystriker

Cadet
Went out over the weekend for a run. Engine ran OK for two or so hours. Towards the end of the run, a misfire type symptom appeared.
With WOT and low RPM this "misfire" happened every 3 or 4 seconds. I checked the bulb and release valve on tank and that all seemed fine.

For a few minutes, "forward" would also not engage, but eventually did.

I need help listing where to start looking and where to stop looking ( Most obvious and less expensive to the extreme.

Outboard is 15HP code: 152HA (1976-1977 i believe)

Edit: It starts and idles just fine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15hp Chrysler Misfire - Need help

Check for :water in the fuel,fouled plugs,weak spark.J

luckystriker

Cadet

Update:

Took the plugs out last night, they looked fouled. Brown ash type grit, although not THAT bad. Will insert new ones.
Checking the fuel tonight for water.

Edit: Tested for spark last night but didnt see any spark, either of the plug or spark jump to screw driver.....Could it be that i need someone to go crazy on the pull cord instead of me just turn the flywheel with one hand ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

At almost EVERY autostore(Auto Zone $5.99)sell sparkies(spark tester).Get one or two,hook them up.
You turning it over by hand won't generate enough power to fire the plugs.J

luckystriker

Cadet

Plugs are OK
And no water in the petrol.

I have not tested the Spark yet, will do this weekend.
Is it worth it to pull the flywheel off so long? If so, can anyone with a manua?l tell me what the gap should be on the points and what the NM rating is too bolt the flywheel back on ?

(i have tried and failed to source a workshop manual)