150hp or 200hp

john200

Cadet
Hello I have a 18' 1989 stryker glass bass boat with a johnson 150GT outboard.I bought it for cheep the guy said it had motor trouble, so not knowing much about outboards and a lot about cars we did a compression test it had 95psi witch at the time I thought was bad. So after rebuilding it I still have 95psi LOL now that I have lernd some more about boats I have found that it was over propped.now it runs out strong Meanwhile while figuring this out I bought a 1991 evinrude 200hp So seems how I have both motors and they both run a1 should I keep the 150 on or put the 200 on all so any one running a 18' bass boat with a 200hp and if so what prop are you running and whats your top speed
thanks Robert

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 150hp or 200hp

what is the boats max hp capacity? Do not exceed that or your only looking for trouble in more ways then one. If the boat is rated for a 200 and you have the knowledge and ability to swap motors/controls go for it. The more hp the better. However, judging by the size of your boat, i would say a 200 is overkill and is probably rated for a 175 at the most.

What are you getting currently for RPM's at WOT and what prop/pitch/diameter are you running? You want to run in the WOT rpm range for the motor, which my guess would be anywhere from 5000-5700. You want to run on the higher end of the spectrum however when unloaded, that way you will not be lugging the motor when the boat is loaded with people/gear ect.

john200

Cadet

Well as far as trolling I have a 24volt 70lb trust motor guide so I got the going slow down.
I don't know what the rated power is for the boat I can't find the tag any were and I can't find it on line ether
I run a few different props I run a 14,1/2x19 to pull skiers,wake boarders and tubers but I can't run it at full throttle because that prop is to small but it will yank a house up out of the hole
I run a 14,1/4x23 for just tubing
I run a 14,1/2x26 for speed real slow out of the hole but at top speed and wot being 5500 and hold on because nothing but prop is in the water so I have the factory repair manuals for both motors and the 150gt is stated to run 5500rpm's @ wot and the 200 @ 6000 how much more speed could I get?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

why not find the manufacturer, call them and find out what the hp limit is? Is Stryker an Alumaweld line?

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Hello I have a 18' 1989 stryker glass bass boat with a johnson 150GT outboard.I bought it for cheep the guy said it had motor trouble, so not knowing much about outboards and a lot about cars we did a compression test it had 95psi witch at the time I thought was bad. So after rebuilding it I still have 95psi LOL now that I have lernd some more about boats I have found that it was over propped.now it runs out strong Meanwhile while figuring this out I bought a 1991 evinrude 200hp So seems how I have both motors and they both run a1 should I keep the 150 on or put the 200 on all so any one running a 18' bass boat with a 200hp and if so what prop are you running and whats your top speed
thanks Robert

just like gastronSX said you have to call the manuf of the boat find find the max motor that can go on that boat.. and yeah i agree 200 for a 18' its an overkill...

prop? well if you an put the 200 on the boat then i would use the old prop that was on the 150,if it fits, and go from there.... make sure you find out the recomended manufact WOT range for the 200 and stay in that range, idealy 25% close to the top.... the reason why i say to put the old prop on the new motor is because i used to have a 75HP Johnson on the boat that i've replaced it with a 120 and im still using the same SS prop .....

btw what are your RPMS right now at WOT?

keep us updated

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Well as far as trolling I have a 24volt 70lb trust motor guide so I got the going slow down.
I don't know what the rated power is for the boat I can't find the tag any were and I can't find it on line ether
I run a few different props I run a 14,1/2x19 to pull skiers,wake boarders and tubers but I can't run it at full throttle because that prop is to small but it will yank a house up out of the hole
I run a 14,1/4x23 for just tubing
I run a 14,1/2x26 for speed real slow out of the hole but at top speed and wot being 5500 and hold on because nothing but prop is in the water so I have the factory repair manuals for both motors and the 150gt is stated to run 5500rpm's @ wot and the 200 @ 6000 how much more speed could I get?

ohh ok.... 26 pitch damn... i have a 15 on mine.. hahha

whats your speed wright now with the 150, 26p prop???

when i went from the 75 to the 120 i gained about 10MPH.... you might get a few miles....

man i would be afraid to drive that boat with a 200 on the back....