150 Merc

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess since my buddy gave me his old one I should help him out. <br />There is a problem with the throttle I think it needs adjustment only first it idles fine on the muff but when it in the water it stalls when put into gear so I need to raise the idle I'm thinking about 100 RPM unless some one can tell me what the idle should be. Also the throttle doesn’t seem to even come on until 1/2 way through the forward range as such I do not think she is getting to Full throttle this too is most likely adjustment. <br />Any thoughts would be helpful.<br />Alex

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 Merc

Alex, A manual will tell you the idle rpm specs for the motor, as well as how to synchronize spark advance with throttle. It sounds as though you need to do this!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 150 Merc

600 to 650 RPM in gear, in the water. You can't adjust idle on the muffs! Controls are designed to not advance throttle until fully in gear. To check for proper throttle advance, do the following. With motor NOT running, remove silencer, have someone rotate prop and shift into forward gear. Advance throttle all the way. If carb butterflies are hozizontal, there is no need for adjustment.