150 Merc floods at cold start...

Salmonator

Cadet
I have a 1995 2.0 merc that has been hard to start cold since I bought it 3 months ago but it has been really difficult lately. It has 87 hrs and once warm runs perfect at all rpms. I start it by pumping the bulb tight, holding in the key for choke (with the throttle at neutral) and then turn it over. Lately it will give a few sputters and die. I then have to give it 1/3 throttle/no choke to fire it, then it will die again. Then back to choke to get it to sputter and die, again 1/3 throttle and repeat this process until it will run on its own. It will smoke like a banshee after this fiasco. Last two fishing trips it was hard getting it to fire at all. After it is completely warm I can shut it down for an hour or so and fire it back up no problem w/out choke except for the occasional sputter. This problem almost caused me the last two fishing trips as both batteries were almost drained before it ran. Any input much appreciated... Joe

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 150 Merc floods at cold start...

Low speed windings in stator, switch boxes. Some on board suggested warming swith boxes with hair dryer and see if it starts better.

Salmonator

Cadet
Re: 150 Merc floods at cold start...

thanks, digging out the shop manual to find where this stuff is on the motor.. Joe