150 Hp Oceanrunner/Auxially Fuel Tank and Surge

Crashtackle

Cadet
Hi,

Bit of a mouthfull but,

I have just built a stainless steel auxially fuel tank and fitted it to my boat to increase the fuel under floor to 200 litres.(About 44 gallons.) This will give me a great freedom when fishing off the coast.

I fitted extra valves and electric fuel pump to transfer to the main tank but thought that the main fuel pump on the motor may have enough grunt to pull from the spaare tank anyway..

Well, I took it out on Sunday for a run, and all went well until at full throttle and the motor began to surge. So I put on the electric and used it as a booster pump and thought that I may have a win. But, did not make much difference. At low speed there is not much problems and on the main tank, all is good.

I set it up just as a spare, and, set it up to pump into the main, but thought that the main fuel pump may pull the fuel up. The new tank is set up a few feet in front of the main tank located in what was my kill tank so there is a longer pull, but do you think that the main fuel pump should pull the fuel.

My main question is, should I consider putting a kit into the main fuel pump.

Or am I asking too much of the pump.

What do you think?

Crash

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 Hp Oceanrunner/Auxially Fuel Tank and Surge

I run a 200HP OCean Pro. No problems pulling fuel out of the reserve tank that is under my feet at the helm.

Keep in mind that every inch of hose and every fitting in the system causes a pressure drop. Keep lines and fitting to a minimium between the tank and the motor