150 Continues To Leak Oil After Valve Replacement

My 2002 150 has the problem where it will not release the oil injection pressure when the engine shuts down and continues to push oil through the system. After researching the forum it seemed like my problem was likely the check valve on the engine beneath the starter. I replaced the valve and it still did it. Just to be sure I purchased another valve. I ran the engine late yesterday. Today I checked the engine and there is a large puddle of oil beneath the carbs. I unscrewed the cap to the oil tank in the boat and even after nearly 24 hours the system is still pressurized.

Anyone else not been able to fix this problem? The only thing I can think is the air has to escape back through the engine and something farther up is blocking its escape. This engine did run really hot which is how I ended up with it. Is it possible something could have melted that will prevent air from flowing out?

This is really frustrating:mad:. When I unscrew the cap after it shuts down it does not leak oil.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 150 Continues To Leak Oil After Valve Replacement

The "check" valve has a small relief that will bleed off the pressure in a reasonable time. If it can't bleed off, then something else is blocking it. I would suspect the hose. Either it's pinched in a way that it'll act like a one way valve, or the inner tube is peeling in that way.

I admit, it's wierd.

Thanks.

Leave it to me to have some weird thing going on that has never been seen before. I will keep looking it over and see what I can come up with.

OK - It is the weekend and I finally have some time to try and figure this out. I pulled the hoses from the remote tank and I noticed oil came out of the one that is for the air movement from the crankcase. Could this be keeping air from being released from the system? If so I am thinking the sender could be a problem? Does it matter which hose is connected to which spot on the sender? If it does matter which outlet on the sender? My sender is the one where one outlet is higher on the sender than the other.

Well, I feel stupid. I remembered I had an old oil tank with a broken sender. I pulled the sender out and the air passage hose attaches to the lower hole on the sender. My connections were reversed (this is how it was when I bought it). That would be why the pressure is not being relieved.:facepalm: