15 Whaler 140

AW

Seaman Apprentice
What do you think about putting an old style (cross flow) Johnson / Evenrude 140 on a 15' Whaler? It's only about 50 pounds heavier than a 3cyl 70, and uses the same props.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 15 Whaler 140

I think it is a really bad idea, AW.<br /><br />The BW 15' is a very fast boat with a good 70, which is what it is rated for.<br /><br />The weight is not a problem. The torque, and speeds well beyond safe for operating the hull would be a problem.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've seen trimmed out 15-foot Whalers running Johnrude triples "burp" air out the side at speed - enough to cause the driver to be in need of clean underwear. They're fast and relatively stable, but only to a point. If they go beyond that point they can get quite unstable...<br />- Scott

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I have noticed that most whalers have a higher hp rating than other boats the same size. Why is this? I think a 15 ft skiff with a 70 would be a blast. A 140 would be wild I think people could get hurt if they aren't used to that kind of power on such a light hull.

AW

Seaman Apprentice

Yea, that's what they said at the time. And it's true that in the wrong hands someone could get hurt. Don't try it if you don't know what your doing.<br /><br />This pic was taken in the winter and the helmet is to keep my head warm.<br /><br /> http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/aw0/15140 <br /><br />Above about 45 mph you had to be able to "counter steer" to control the chine walk, which got to be second nature, and you forgot you even did it until someone else got behind the wheel. <br /><br />With the fastest setup it turned a 24" raker at 6400 on the factory tach.<br /><br />It was the best thing I have ever done.

11 footer

Lieutenant

140hp on a 15foot whaler?<br /><br />I don't think I'd go any higher then 90hp.<br /><br />What kind of topend speeds are you getting?

AW

Seaman Apprentice

Top speed was probably about 65 mph. I had a speedometer that I calibrated over a measured distance, and that is what I base my speed on. It generally ran dead even with most boats claiming 70.<br /><br />A two different friends of mine had 3cyl Merc 90s on theirs. For some reason theirs were harder to control and sat lower in the stern than mine. I think the center of gravity of the 3cyl merc was farther back than the old V4.<br /><br />Mine was a work boat hull, 90 pounds heavier than the regular boat, and this no doubt contributed to stability.<br /><br />One time some friends put a straight 6 Merc 115 on a 15', and that was awesome too. Faster and easier to drive than the 3cyl 90.