15 pistons in two months yam 200 series.UPDATE

Gerard Kohler

Recruit
Bayliner deck boats as guest transfer. using Yamaha 200 S200TXRX 6G6X507762V saltwater series(6 of). Always piston failure, normaly around the gudgion pin.WOT 4100,normal opp 3500. Trips 15 minutes, 27 trips/day,13 pax, We have reduced the loading of the vessels and soon will change from 17 to 15 pitch props.The motors are only 9 months in use, Any help PLEASE :confused:

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15 pistons in two months yam 200 series.UPDATE

What rpms are you running? What throttle setting (half, WOT, etc.) are you running? How long are you running for each run?<br /><br />These answers and more details like this will help get you some advice.

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

What year are the yammys??? How many people are you riding?? :confused: :confused:

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need to get a work boat prop on those Yamaha's to get the wot rpm up over 5000 when loaded. If you are running 17p now you will need to go down to 11p to get into the rpm range. Yamaha's are known to be hard on wrist pins on over propped engines and your is severly overproped. My dealer likes to see them proped on the upper end of the rpm band.

Gerard Kohler

Recruit

Dear Hawk eye, thanks for the reply. This is pretty much what I have been expecting, good to hear it from some one else. I normal would encourage the use of Yamahas, I've seen them in use through out Africa and Indian Ocean Islands. But in our application were busting pistons,If you have any more info to change the minds of the people above me please help. I have posted my email and do encourage correspondance.Regards

D

DJ

Tell them it's like driving around a stick shift vehicle in high gear all the time. The engines are being abused!!

Gerard Kohler

Recruit

Thanks mate, nice way of putting it, If you think I'm complaining you should hear the motors,<br />But soon be able to rectify that. In the mean time I still appreciate any more comments or info, all adds to the ammunition.<br />Regards<br />GK

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Who are the people you are talking about? From the post I thought you were the one with the problem. I would definitely target the 5500 range for wot with your application.

Gerard Kohler

Recruit

Thanks hawkeye. Im in Angola on the west coast of Africa running a Lodge.I'm using this bulliten board to get advice from all over so as to convince the owners that the boats and motors are being used incorrectly.<br />So any info or any personal experiances are welcome. Thanks for the replies and I look forward to more.