15 Hp 2 cycle Johnson J15REUC 1997 Overheats

tallyther

Recruit
Lately my motor overheats and shuts down. At first I thought trash blocked the pee hole and I ended up losing it in the bay while inspecting it. So after 3 weeks I finally replaced it after the local dealer gave me the wrong part twice. I thought whatever blocked it fell out when I lost the part. Anyway it ran fine again but this past weekend the water quit flowing again 3 times and started 2 times. I shut it down before it over heated the first two times I thought even though it was smoking each time. Finally the third time it stopped on its own. I know you may want to know why I kept on. But when your 8 miles out in the gulf and no alternative you push it. 7.5 miles of the return was done using a beach umbrella to allow the wind to push me in after 6.5 hours. Its like after it shuts down and cooled off it would start working right again with a strong flow. Now it won't start at all. I never saw any trash. To me it acts like loose debreis that plugs it up and when it shuts down with no hydraulic pressue it reorients itself. I wasn't sure if the impeller was breaking up or not but the flow has been strong when it worked. As noted above I have used it in salt water but flushed it every time but the last. Anyone got any suggestions. I'm mechanically inclined even though I never worked on a boat motor I have rebuilt jeeps. Thanks!