15 hp 1983 evenrude stuck in reverse

The motor will start in neutral when, put into forward gear runs in reverse. Earlier that morning had problems starting once started let off throttle and put into gear rather quickly to keep motor running got us there fine.Noticed the problem on the way back,

Rick.

Captain
Re: 15 hp 1983 evenrude stuck in reverse

Sounds like you might have shifted it while the engine was going too fast. I would drop the leg and try shifting it into F/N/R while spinning the prop. When dropping the leg check to see that the brass gear shaft coupling hasn't come apart. That would be a simple fix so cross your fingers. Beyond that your going to have to, I think, open up the gear case to see what the problem is. It could be your shifter fork, clutch dog or worse. You will need a factory service manual to pull the gear case apart. Good luck. Rick.

I do think I shifted while having too much rpms.
The engine is hard to start but when it's running I can shift into foward gear and the motor runs in reverse.
Excuse my ignorance but when you say leg do you mean the lowest part wich holds the prop or the whole part under the engine?
Also I looked at a schematic online and wasn't sure what brass gear shaft you were talking about. Does this brass gear shaft you wrote about wich "comes apart" go back together or would a new one be required?
Thanks for the reply Rick.

Rick.

Captain

http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Default.aspx&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Follow the link above to find a parts break down of your Evinrude 1983, 15 HP.
You will need to know your model number. Yes I mean the lowest part. It is held on by 6 bolts. Once you get the 6 bolts out, The leg will separate about a 1/2 an inch at best and you will see the brass coupling in the space. Take the top bolt completely out and then the leg will come off the rest of the way. The brass coupler is reusable as is the bolt. The gear shaft isn't brass, just the coupling. If your looking at the schematic it is part number 49 and called a shift rod connector in the gear case section. If you find a problem with the connector and put the leg back on it is important to have a good look at the water tube and water pump alignment. The tube needs to slide into the water pump grommet as your putting the leg back together. Improper alignment could damage the tube and/or the grommet/pump. If I understand you correctly your able to shift from neutral to forward but instead of getting forward gear you get reverse? Try pulling the rope in what you think is neutral and I'm willing to bet it is in reverse all the time. The above work isn't technically difficult so don't be afraid to give it a try. Pulling the gear case apart is more difficult and you should have a manual for that as well as a must read from the FAQ section by a fellow who has intimate knowledge of the 9.9 and 15's. He is called "the machinist". Rick.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I just gotta ask. What happens when you put it in reverse? Does it go forward? Neutral or reverse?

Rick.

Captain

That's a good question Steve. Probably goes up or down! I'm thinking it's in reverse full time. Rick.

Thanks Rick that was verry detailed will try when it stops snowing.
To answer the question when shifted into reverse it goes in reverse believe me I tried everything since I was 3 miles down river and had to troll/paddel back.

Thanks for the link from the machinist. It was very detailed about that engine except for being stuck in reverse.
I pulled the leg down and the brass coupling was in place,"both bolts passing through grooves on shift link"
Perhaps tearing apart the gears would be too big of a job for me,just dont want to pay more than the motor is worth

Rick.

Captain

I understand if you don't take it any further but...........Have you uncoupled the brass connector and dropped the leg? I would be interested to see if you can shift out of reverse by pulling up on the lower shift rod. I have an 83 9.9 I have been using as a parts motor due to the fact the gears were smashed in it as well as the shifter fork and the clutch dog. I'm talking multiple pieces of the previous mentioned parts. The fellow I bought it from said he hit a rock and it froze immediately. I tore the gear case apart using the owners service manual and Mr. Wiesner's article. It really wasn't very difficult. If your clutch dog impacted the shifter fork hard enough to bend the shifter fork perhaps all you will need to replace is the shifter fork and seals and O rings. IMO it would be a shame to retire a good motor like and 83 unless you know the parts needed and then make and economic decision. Like I said you may only need the shifter fork which you can find on Ebay for a reasonable price. Anyway, it's up to you but you can get help here if you decide to go further into it. Best of luck Duckhunter. Rick.

Well I pulled the gear case apart and one side of part #13"the shifter lever assembaly broke and the clutch dog "craddel" #5 was lying in bottom preventing the motor from shifting gears.
Parts are on order and I will replace the water pump while at it.

Rick.

Captain

Hey that's great news. That is an expensive part. Did you find a used one? Rick.

It's middle of duck season couldnt waste time with the ebay bidding just orderd and used express delivery

Rick.

Captain

I guess that's understandable. If mine broke during fishing season I would be far more anxious to get it going that any other time. One thing you should check when re-installing the gears. Have a good look at the clutch dog and if you can see that it is more worn on one side than the other, make sure you install the worn side to the reverse gear. It gets very little reverse use compared to forward. So glad to know your 83 will be back in service in no time. While waiting for your parts I would suggest you clean your carb. to try to cure your original problem of it not wanting to run at idle. Rick.