140HP mercruiser inboard surging at high revs

dalcan

Recruit
Hey guys ,

This is my first post so hopefully i'm in the right place. I have a 1975 StarCraft Holiday with a 140HP inboard engine that as the title states is surging at max revs but otherwise runs great. I've replaced the fuel lines, installed a new fuel filter ,had the carb cleaned, replaced the fuel pump, drained the tanks and ran new gas. Would there be a restriction in the 3 way fuel valve as its the only thing I haven't changed yet. Thanks for any help.

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 140HP mercruiser inboard surging at high revs

If you have a portable gas tank, try running off that straight to the fuel pump. That will tell you is it is in the tanks or lines.

Grub54891

Admiral

Carb cleaned to some means spraying carb cleaner in it and around it. Was it dissasembled/new kit installed? It'll never be right if it was not done right. At least it would eliminate the carb if done with a kit.
Grub

dalcan

Recruit

Carb cleaned to some means spraying carb cleaner in it and around it. Was it dissasembled/new kit installed? It'll never be right if it was not done right. At least it would eliminate the carb if done with a kit.
Grub

The carb was taken apart and cleaned by a mechanic.

dalcan

Recruit

If you have a portable gas tank, try running off that straight to the fuel pump. That will tell you is it is in the tanks or lines.

Thanks i'll give that a try. I was also told that some of the fittings into the 3 way valve have small ball bearing check valves in them and should be replaced with straight thru connections to reduce restriction or at least cleaned , I will check that too.

TheHunter990

Seaman Apprentice

Another thing to check, if you have access to a timing light, is that you have a steady timing at max rpms. You could have a worn out distributor that could cause surging if the timing is fluctuating. You might need to check it on the lake rather than at home with the muffs on it.