140 vro still bogs down-help!

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK- No water in gas(fixed that problem)<br />Installed Racor fuel/water separator as added <br />insurance. No water seen in clear resevoir)<br />Engine starts right up everytime.<br />Sometimes runs GREAT at W.O.T- other times it bogs down to run at 3500- 4000 tops (usually runs at<br />6000-6200 whe running right)<br />Runs smooth at low speed most of the time but I sometimes hear an occasional knock. Can tell <br />pretty much before hand if its going to bog<br />down because then the lower speed sounds a bit rough.<br />When it does bog down the engine always sounds like its TRYING to kick in- intermittant sounds of higher revs. ALWAYS runs smoooth when running correctly at WOT. Could it be a leaky hose causing only X amount of fuel to enter carbs? Where<br />do I check for leaks? Recently decarbed the engine.<br />Also sprayed cleaner into cabss with engine running. Do these engines (85- 140 VRO Evinrude) have any moving carborator parts? Always winterized using Stabil stabilizer.Also noticed that at times<br />there isn't a smooth transition from low to high speeds. Thanks for your help.

bobaschmidt

Cadet
Re: 140 vro still bogs down-help!

I just cleaned both my Carbs and the VRO Fuel pump on my 85' 90hp Johnson. The carbs have floats atached to a fuel pin & seat. other than that, no moving parts but you need to blow low 25 - 35 psi air through the passage ways to clear any crap out. My VRO is disabled but I cleaned the diaphragms and the small piston on the oil side. I am going through the same problem. Good luck!

Walker

Captain
Re: 140 vro still bogs down-help!

Spraying carb cleaner into the carbs is a waste of time and carb cleaner. To thoroughly clean your carbs you need to tear them down and either soak them or clean every orifice and passage way. I prefer soaking them. With lightly fouled carbs I have had some luck running seafoam in the gas mix.