140 seahorse cut out

tnastro

Cadet
140 Johnson Seahorse, believe its a 77 (model plate is scratched badly). All has been running well, spent the day skiing with a full load on board, had been running wot 5500 rpm for awhile when motor just shut down! Tried to restart and nothing, waited a few minutes tried another restart and it fired right up. Seemed to be alittle noisy, and wouldn't get to full speed, so I slowly made it back to dock. I had just recently changed plugs out, and when I took it out it had a bad miss, pulled plugs and one had the electrode bent in almost all the way. I was sure I gapped all before inserting and didn't drop or hit anything (gapped to 40). Regapped and ran again. After it cut out and I got home checked all plugs again, all was ok. Boat had done this once before a year ago and never again since, I actually had forgotten about it til now. Well, took it out again, this time alone with no load, ran it and didn't have the speed (top is only about 32mph according to my gauge). It didn't seem to be running as smooth as it should and a little shakey, then I thought I heard a knocking, I idled it back to dock. Checked plugs again all were ok, one was pretty dry though, pushed on all pistons with screwdriver and maybe a little tiny movement on the one with the driest plug. Did have some water in lower unit, have had some but just change lower oil about every 5 or so trips out, no noticeable shavings on magnet. Never had carbs de-carbed since I have had the boat (1986 astroglass 178v fish/ski). Just spent the past two months tring to refinish the top side, and pulled floor out and recarpeted, all came out great - Now I would really like to use it but don't want to have eng. problems (too late i guess) Please give any suggestions, have not run a compression test yet, guess i need to get a gauge and will try it today. Thanks Andy

rwise

Captain
Re: 140 seahorse cut out

First welcome to Iboats!<br />I would sugest pulling the head from the cylandar that is dry, and had the bent electrode for a visual inspection. dry could show a carb problem but the bent electrode, well don't sound good

tnastro

Cadet

Well, looks like it is bad news - ran compression #3 was 0, 1 and 4 were at 110, 2 was at 98. What do I do next? How much can I expect for a rebuild including carbs and water pump? Can I possibly do this myself with the aid of a good manual? Help needed.

rwise

Captain

have you pulled the heads yet? you may be able to do most of the work on it if you are mechanicaly inclined and have some experiance with other engines. There are a lot of good people here that will help you if they can.

tnastro

Cadet

Made a mistake re: cylinder psi, 1 & 2 are 110 and 3 = 0, 4 = 98, not pulled heads yet still need more info and a manual.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do yourself a big favor & get the OMC manual. I got mine here:<br /><br /> http://www.theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/parts_service_and_owners_manuals.html <br /><br />That could be a fun project. Those were good motors. I had a 1979 long ago. It is very important that you determine why the motor failed before you get to far. Otherwise it is possible to fail again.<br /><br />You can due either a partial rebuild - going for just the bad cylinder or do a complete overhaul. Let us know what you find when you get the heads off & post pictures if you can.<br /><br />Often the problem is with a piston ring letting go due to carbon build-up.