140 2 stroke 1994 very hard to start up when cold

kix766j

Cadet
hi guys,

I have a 140 2 stroke 1994 model. it takes ages to start up (sometimes even 1hour of trying) and once it starts up it works perfectly fine. even if after i use it for a while and switch it off for 3-5hours... i have no problem starting it up again. the real problem is to start it up from cold (after it has been off for around 24hours or more).

Now, when i try to start it up first thing, it starts up but dies after a couple of seconds. I also tried to lower the revs upon starting (around 1000rpm) but it simply starts up and goes off again after 2-3seconds... if i try to increase the revs slowly it also goes off.
As i keep on trying to start it up it gets worse and worse until the ignition keeps turning for nothing without any sign of life.

The solution to eventually start it up is leaving it sitting for around 10mins and trying the above all over again until i'm lucky enough for it to start up.

I noticed the spark plugs got wet now after about a month of having this problem so i replaced them with new ones and it doesnt take so long to start up (it now takes 30mins instead) but there still is a problem obviously.

this has happened because i cleaned the carbs with carb cleaner spray about 6weeks ago..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

kix766j

Cadet
Re: 140 2 stroke 1994 very hard to start up when cold

just to keep anybody reading this informed, i've found out that the problem with this is the CDI unit. mechanic tested all parts and nothing had to do with carbs, fuel, dirt or whatever

CDI unit replacement cost is ?600 (approx U$850) !:eek: