14' sea king

Greg GM

Recruit
:confused:I have a 1984 14' sea king I need to know the motor size that i can use ( how big) and how many people , how much weight can the boat hold.

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 14' sea king

I would say 3/4 adults is the max as far as how many people; depending on the layout of your boat. And you probably woldn't be very comfortable.

15hp should be sufficient. Also depends on where you want to use it. may only need an electric trolling motor, also depends on your preference. I have a 14.6' tinny and I only have a trolling motor. I go to lakes and reservoirs where the only current comes from the wind. Granted I don't go very fast, but it gets the job done, its quiet, and no gas!

Is your boat just the bare hull? or does it have a deck? livewell? bilge pump? etc. This will all add to the weight of the boat.

Post some pics.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what sea king, open fishing boat? closed bow runabout with steering wheel and controls, we need accurate info.

Greg GM

Recruit

it's an open fish boat and i plan on useing it in the chesapeake bay and it's tributaries. No live well just 3 seats nothing else in boat.

tashasdaddy

15hp max. 2 adults, maybe one child.

this is a lone start with a 15 hp, stick steering, and controls.

MVC-905S.jpg

Greg GM

Recruit

I have a 1975 25 hp Johnson is that going to be to big or to heavy

CATransplant

Admiral

It all depends. If this is the basic 14' Sea King tinny, then yes, it will be overpowered. A 15 is just right for that boat. If it's something else, then there might be a different answer.

I have a 12' Sea King. It's rated for 10 hp. The 14' version is rated for 15.

Isn't there a manufacturer's plate on that boat? It should be on the inside of the transom. It will have those limits on it.

tashasdaddy

most Sea Kings were before the plate requirement.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yabbut he said it's a 1984, so it should have a plate. Actually, my 1964 Sea King has a plate...or did. It's now covered by the plywood transom plate, which I made full width inside.

In any case, if it's a plain 14' tinny, 15 hp will do very nicely, and 25 hp is going to be too darned heavy. None of the Sea King tinnies were ever deep and wide boats.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked at a 14' aluminum Seaking recently it was from the 1960s.
Nice built boat but smaller. Max weight capacity on the sticker, 700lbs. men gear and motor.