14' jon boat motor size

trueGriffin

Cadet
Looking at a 1436 alumacraft jon boat package that comes with a 9.9 hp suzuki.

My question is the 9.9 hp enough to get me up on plane? How fast? The boat is rated for 15hp.

Just looking for any real world experience with a 14' jon boat and motor combos that did well.

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 14' jon boat motor size

i am surprized it is rated for a 15, being that narrow.

fishrdan

Admiral

I think you are set up just fine.

I have a Tracker 1436 with a 7.5HP Force that scoots pretty good with me (225#), 200# of gear and a trolling motor. If my son 75# goes along it's barely noticable. If another adult goes the boat will still plane, but I can tell the top end speed has dropped off. The only time I wished I had more power is when I'm up in the mountains, at 6000' the boat rides like I have another adult on board, when they are not, at 9000' it's kind of doggy and won't plane. On my fish finder speedo (not accurate) it measures 27MPH at sealevel with me and my son, 9000' it measures 12MPH. But,,, the 7.5HP Force is a de-tuned 9.9 and/or 15HP, so I'm guessing it's a very healty running 7.5HP outboard,,, don't know if another 7.5HP outboard would push the jon boat as well.

I saw a 1436 Alumicraft after buying my Tracker and like the Alumicraft better, built stronger and a higher HP rating. They are basically the same boat and probably very close in weight, just that the Alumicraft is a nicer boat.

jbjennings

Captain

A 9.9 will plane you just fine. If you weigh 200 or less it will make you happy. if you weigh 300lbs. and have troll motor, battery, tackle box, ice chest with soda pops or full of fish, then you'll want the 15hp. The 15hp is what I'd want, personally.
JBJ

trueGriffin

Cadet

Thanks so far for the advice. I weigh 220# and I might take 50# to 200# of gear and another adult weighing 150#.

I think I will be ok...still might see if I can get them to swap it out for a 15 hp.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

The 9.9 should be plenty for that boat. My guess is you'll get over 20 mph out of it with that motor. (Not sure I'd want to go faster in a boat that narrow!) It would also allow you to get into lakes that have 10 hp limits. (Not sure you have any but 10 seems to be the magic cut-off around here.)