14 ft aluminum semi-v hull engine and load capacities

bamaboatboy

Recruit
I have an older hull, and the label plate data is worn off. Only the serial number, stamped into the metal, remains. How do I find out typical capacities for my boat?

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 14 ft aluminum semi-v hull engine and load capacities

I have a 12' V that is @ 450 pounds I think. You will receive more feedback that will be more accurate if you provide boat measurements and pictures.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

There are multiple factors so why don't you post a picture of the boat for help (picture instructions here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=533219)

Do you know who the manufacturer is?

kfa4303

Banned

HI bamaboatboy. Welcome to iboats. I run a very similar set up and the max hp is probably about 30-40 hp at the old 2-stroke weight. Modern 4-strokes are much heavier, so you may not be able to carry a motor with an hp rating quite so high. I run a vintage 20 hp on my 14' semi-v tinny and get about 20 mph and she hops right up on plane. This link may help too.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OB_shaft_length.htm

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it also depends on whether it has a console or tiller steer; consoles are rated higher

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

i usually measure length,width,depth,transom height, weight if possible and then compare to present day similar boats.

bamaboatboy

Recruit

I'm back with more info: the length is 14'; transom height is 15"; beam is 52". The manufacturer is unknown, because as stated earlier, the label plate is so worn only the serial number is legible. Here is a picture. I hope this helps.

boat profile.jpg

I have a '57 Gales Products 12hp outboard, which was an OMC line sold in Montgomery Wards and small hardware stores.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Looks like a nice boat. I wouldn't go more than a 15 hp. We had a couple similar boats that did well with 8.5's. I'd guess your 12 will be fine as long as it isn't too heavy as it will be hard to keep the bow down. As for people and weight, on calm days and small water we'd have 3 people at about 600lbs. My guess is that we were slightly overloaded but nobody moved quickly.

64osby

Admiral

I have a 1963 14' Lone Star, a little wider than yours. Max HP is 18. Capacity is 785 lbs. I think the 12 will be great on your boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

W/O a capacity plate it is pure guessing but I find as a general rule with these small boats you are most likely safe with that engine, fuel, 2 average size adults and a small child. The same engine and fuel with 3 average adults will probably max it out.

Bblades

Recruit
Hello I have a similar issue I'm trying to figure out the capacity info the plate is faded and scratched. I have a 1982 StarCraft sealite SL14 and was hoping someone had one similar that I could get the info so I can get a replacement.

roffey

Commander
You will get a better response if you start a new thread. This one is 3 years old.

Oh and welcome aboard.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello I have a similar issue I'm trying to figure out the capacity info the plate is faded and scratched. I have a 1982 StarCraft sealite SL14 and was hoping someone had one similar that I could get the info so I can get a replacement.

Welcome to iboats, Bblades.

Took the liberty to copy your post over to new topic in the Starcraft section. There have been some discussions about this very subject - Replacement capacity plates.

While your question is sort of related, it's best to start new topic. The older, inactive threads are ignored by many and new topic gets better results for you.

Here is a link to the new topic - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...capacity-plate