135 Evinrude (1973) TRIM TROUBLE

I had to dissasemble the throttle/control box to remove the ignition switch and take it to the locksmith to have a key made (lost the key). When it came time to put it all back together, I realized I should have written down where all the wires attached on the back of the switch. I tried several different combinations until blowing out the 20 amp fuse at the engine and then came to iboats and was lucky enough to find someone helpful enough to get me a wiring diagram. The ingition switch is now reinstalled and control box reassembled and the blown fuse replaced. The motor starts and runs fine now. The problem is that now the trim doesnt work at all as if no power is getting to the trim motor even though it worked perfectly before the wiring troulbe with the ignition switch. Does anyone know if perhaps there is another fuse that controls the trim and may have also blown when I tried to start it with the incorrect wiring on the ignition switch? Or is this trim problem totoally independent of everything else? How do I find out why the trim is not getting power?
Also, The switch for the trim is on the dash near the steering wheel. I found a wiring diagram for the T&T here on iboats at: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=93133, but unfortunately nothing is labeled on this diagram.
Also, there doesnt seem to be an in-line fuse in the wiring from what I can see. Anybody out there have any ideas?
Thanks,
Josh

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 135 Evinrude (1973) TRIM TROUBLE

I would certainly try to help, but that is not the tilt and trim for a 1973 135HP Motor: The one shown here is. It is part #172670 and can be seen in the BRP parts catalog under the advanced selection on the second window.

http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

Attachments

• 1973 PT&T.jpg
    1973 PT&T.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

its been a while since working on 73 trim,but does your boat have a approx.4x5 box mounted somewhere that houses the elec.for the trim unit,there is a fuse in it if

im thinking right

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just realized that you need the diagram for what wires go to what terminals. Disregard prior post. I do have a diagram for OMC boats, but it just notes the color codes of the wiring harness, not the connector. Oops!:(

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

OK, try this:

Attachments

• 1973 PT&T WIRING.JPG
    1973 PT&T WIRING.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 0

burroak

Ezeke,

I don't have a use for the diagram at this time, but with permission, it's going into my boat folder.:)

burroak

By the way, how did you get the diagram attached? I have a very good wiring diagram for OMC aluminum boats and would like to share it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Its not my daiagram, I found it here some years ago, so help yourself.

Scroll down when you are in the reply screen, and you will find "attach files" "manage attachments".​