125hp johnson comm.

alexander 2

Recruit
Hello guys. I wonder if any of you had this problem? I purchased an older type boat. The owner assured me it is in good condition. Well he managed to start it after a lot of cranking, so I bought it. when I put it in the water it would not start at all. It just kept cranking over and over until the battery went flat. So I took it back home dissapointedly. When I got home I tried to start it again and it fired up at the touch of the starter. So I stopped it. The next day I tried to start it with a fully charged battery and ear muffs NO GO. It just turned over and over.No sparks at all.About an hour later I tried again and it started in an instant. Cecked coil OK. Compression OK 125 130 130 125. I do not have, instrument to check things,Only a digital multi meter. Would the Stator give this kind of problem? NOW YOU HAVE IT THAN YOU DONT? The other thing I suspect is the push on for choke ignition switch may be worn inside and cuts of power to the coil in starting mode. it is single coil wit 4 plug leads running from the stator. Any help or sugestion from anybody will be highly apreciated.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125hp johnson comm.

What year is this motor? Does it have a manual choke switch or lever on the motor itself?

alexander 2

Recruit
Re: 125hp johnson comm.

What year is this motor? Does it have a manual choke switch or lever on the motor itself?

Believe to be early 70 has push in key for choke operated by choke solenoid. that side is not a problem. It starts instantly when it does starts. does not have sparks when it does not.