125hp force 1990...so are they any good? any past experiences/advice is soo helpfull!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan k

Seaman
Hi Forum,

I'm looking into buying a bayliner with what is apparently an 125hp force outboard from 1990.

Any advice or past experiences with these engines? anything i should look out for?

I have looked on some old threads i dug up on other forums and these engines seem get alot of bad reviews. i can't trust a 2005 forum so i thought i'd get some relevant information from people i can trust.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice

(i know my way around a 2 stroke motocross engine and that's it, i presume these are similar so lay it on thick and i think i'll cope)

Nathan

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125hp force 1990...so are they any good? any past experiences/advice is soo helpf

I bought a new 1988 Bayliner with twin 85hp It's almost the same as a 125 other than it has 3 cyl and 3 carbs as the 125 has only 2 carb.Point is 23 years old and no real problems other than head gaskets.
Simple to work on.
Parts are readily available.
A little harder on gas than newer motors.Just make sure the prop is the right one for your application.
Look at the compression.Should be all the same all 4 cyl. and about 150# with a good guage.
Check the oil in the lower unit.Don't remove the screw on the side.
I'd buy another!!

Nathan k

Seaman
Re: 125hp force 1990...so are they any good? any past experiences/advice is soo helpf

Thanks Jerry, have you had any problems with the noise? my dad seems to feel that 2 strokes are very very noisy

Jiggz

Captain

Jerry, that harder on gas comment is just a sore thing about this Force engines. You're right though, as soon as you learn about them it's one of the easiest engine to maintain and work on. Will I buy another one? Not if I can get a 4-stroker at the same price!

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 4 cylinder Force engines seem to go through head gaskets, but if you're vigilant about maintaining the cooling system it might not happen. I have an 1989 85hp and it runs very well. I don't think Force is particularly bad compared to other 2-stroke engines. But 2-strokes are a dying breed. Ethanol isn't good for them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You'll find that the guys who work on and own Force/Chrysler are a bit fanatical about their motors.
I love mine!!!They always start and if there is any thing going on.They let you know it's time to do maint.
Ethanol isin't good for anything!!!

Torch

Cadet

Hi all,

1986 Force 125hp here...I have had the 20' Capri and the motor for 6 years and am totally satisfied! Major issue was the Tilt bleed down; Fixed w/new seals (see posts from last year). Fine now, absolutely ZERO bleed down! Starts easily, runs good. Parts available locally or eBay.
Brand names are the Ford/Chev argument....which do you like.......then go w/them! I would buy another Force, IF I was planning on keeping it, but not to resell for a big profit (market is going 4 stroke).
Torch!!!

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Hi nathan.

I have a 89 125 force outboard that finally pooped out on me. Your prob thinking I would never get another. Well I just purchased a 94 120 force by merc. And so far so good. Do your maintenance and you will be happy I think. Provided the motor you buy runs good when you buy it. Remember that most outboards will run good in a driveway with muffs. To know if it will run the best is on the lake. The load on the
Motor from being in the water will tell you if its running right. Idle is important as well as wot. Noise isn't that bad when compared to an inboard outboard with straight exhaust out the back of the boat, but if it bothers you that badly then try a nice pair of ear plugs. Good luck.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

If your going to by any boat from private owner. Here's some good advice. Have that person
Take you out on the water and show you it runs good. Don't just take there word for it. If it does any spitting running rough and spitting then stalling all the time then its a sign of compression issues. Spitting meaning backfire through exhaust while in the water. Alot of times these motors will
Stall and die when shifting between neutral forward and reverse. This could be compression but most likely its fuel related or even timing issues. These are easier fixes than compression issues. And hey if you do have issues with it after purchasing it then post on here and someone will always be here to help. How long has boat @motor been sitting. May be time for a tune up.

mrjeff62

Cadet

I bought a 1986 Bayliner last year, with a 125 Force o/b on it. It had been sitting for about 3 years. The mechanic at the marina where I bought it said "the first and biggest problem you'll have with this boat is that motor". He was right. In the 10 months of ownership, it has been running at full performance for approximately 5 hours. It is currently having bog-down and stall issues. I've been reading a thread on the exact same symptoms, and I am not thrilled about the prospects. I can't find ANYBODY within 100 miles that is willing to work on a Force motor. I'm going to have to go to Wyotech so I can work on it myself, I guess. I would love to replace it with a Merc, but $8k is a little out of reach. Oh the joys of boat ownership.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I work on all brands and have no complaints about Force motors, simple to fix, as mentioned i do see the wrong props on them. I would have no problem buying one as long as it ran great! Good luck..

forceproblem

Seaman

I have enjoyed mine tilt trim was a problem with it bleeding down but easily fixed icant complain they are simple to work on and just watch for overheating, common problem

CraigBunting

Recruit
I am looking at a boat with a Force 125 engine on it. If anyone goes wrong with it in the future, will I be able to get it fixed by someone easily down south in the U.K. or in the Midlands. Also, are parts easily available for it?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I don't know about parts availability in the UK but in the US most parts can be found.
I've owned 6-7 different Forces and worked on them since 1986.
They're a bit harder on fuel but run fairly good.
Just make sure the fuels fresh, no water/condensation in the tank and the trigger leads are very thin and break easily(not often, just easy)
Also this posts almost a year old, maybe open a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.