125hp Battery size requirement?

gdehart

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
2
I bought my first boat this summer and I have had a blast on the lake with it. It is a 1998 Bayliner Cobra and it has a 125hp Force. <br /><br />When I bought the boat there was no battery so I went down to NAPA and the person there pulled me out a Marine Deep cycle battery. I was naive and didn't know there was any differnce so I just got it and went. <br /><br />When I take it out to the lake and try to start it, it will turn the engine and just spin. It seems to turn in a little slow but not too bad. <br /><br />My starting procedure is:<br />1. pump the bulb firm.<br />2. Push the choke in and turn<br /><br />I have found out that I should push the choke in for a few seconds (~5 sec) before I crank the engine to let the fuel drip in. <br /><br />It takes a long time cranking to start, if it starts (I've had to just go home a few times). There have been two occasions that I have jumped it with a car and it started right up. So I was wondering if there is a certian CCA that my battery needs to have to start the engine up. The one that I have had 500 CCA, which I guess is pretty low. <br /><br />Should I get a Marine Starter battery or is the battery not the cause of my problems.<br /><br />Please help a newbie.<br /><br />Thanks
 

timmathis

Lieutenant
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
1,295
Re: 125hp Battery size requirement?

That should be fine for warm weather 500 cca. Have you changed plugs lately? Also check (clean & tighten) all wires and connections.
 

gdehart

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
2
Re: 125hp Battery size requirement?

Thanks. I've changed the plugs but I haven't gone through the wires and connections. I'll try that.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: 125hp Battery size requirement?

There are four different types of marine batteries. Cranking batteries, Deep Cell batteries, Cranking deep cell batteries and Gell cell batteries. If you are just boating and dont use an electric trolling motor you want a cranking battery and one that is going to produce at least 600-700 cold cranking amps. If you have an electric trolling motor I would get a deep cell battery and a cranking battery. Deep cell batteries are not much good for cranking. See if you can take it back and get a cranking battery and one that is bigger. Your motor has an alternator that will keep it charged.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 125hp Battery size requirement?

Starting procedure:<br />1- Squeeze the bulb on the fuel till its firm and open the vent on the fuel tank if you have portable fuel tanks.<br />2- Push throttle only release button on the controls, and then push the throttle forward about half way.<br />3- Turn key to on position, push key in to activate the choke, turn key to start position.<br />4- When motor fires release key to on position and slowy move throttle back to the idle position.
 
Top